• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Violent Front-End Vibe

noresttill

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my 1997's 2WD "axle" with a D30 from an '87 that has been sitting a long while. I did that about a week ago (did replace lube).

Last night as I was coming home I got a little vibe, no biggy.

Today as im driving to school I feel a clunking sound from the front. like I was running over RR tracks with half the front tires. It gets worse and I pull over. Looks fine. Put it in drive and let off the brake (no gas) and the truck will start when I hit the rough spot.

continue to drive (interstate) and I gets better and soon I only hear a little click.

On the way home same nothing. Then it gets to clicking, then vibes when braking, then what I can only describe as DW (but still have 2WD drivetrain). Felt like the wheel worked its way loose.

I have no idea where to start looking.

HELP!! (please)

Jesse

noresttill said:
I recently replaced my 1997's 2WD "axle" with a D30 from an '87 that has been sitting a long while. I did that about a week ago (did replace lube).

Last night as I was coming home I got a little vibe, no biggy.

Today as im driving to school I feel a clunking sound from the front. like I was running over RR tracks with half the front tires. It gets worse and I pull over. Looks fine. Put it in drive and let off the brake (no gas) and the truck will start when I hit the rough spot.

continue to drive (interstate) and I gets better and soon I only hear a little click.

On the way home same nothing. Then it gets to clicking, then vibes when braking, then what I can only describe as DW (but still have 2WD drivetrain). Felt like the wheel worked its way loose.

I have no idea where to start looking.

HELP!! (please)

Jesse

alignment? bad unibearings? bad bushings? bad tre's? bad ujoints? bad balljoints?
Get underneath, grab all the components, give them the shake test and see where that takes you (for unibearings and balljoints you do want to lift up the front end)

Kejtar said:
alignment? bad unibearings? bad bushings? bad tre's? bad ujoints? bad balljoints?
Get underneath, grab all the components, give them the shake test and see where that takes you (for unibearings and balljoints you do want to lift up the front end)

All that huh? Well I guess Ill start with stuff that wasn't on it before.

Anyone else? Another thing, at a hard turn (like entrance ramp) it did fine sometimes. Then went back

Thanks

You definately have a case of the death wobbles. I had them once, it took a while to get rid of them.

I would start by replacing everything on the old axle; unitbearings, ball joints, the upper rubber bushings on the control arms, tie rod ends and make sure to get an alignment done if you haven't already. I have a feeling that sitting for so long has worn a few things on that axle out. They need to be replaced anyway.

Lou said:
"If you didn't poop your pants, it wasn't DW"

You'll definatley leave skid marks if you got the DW!!

Kejtar's right though you gotta start at square one.

It felt like my car was dog shaking dry. It was bad. Ok im off to get new u joints. Then from there ???

only thing is there really is no speed that im safe at. It starts at 5mp and continues to get worse. I also thought that DW was somehow connected to the Front DS.
GD it

anyway if it is DW there are about 6 million threads on that, so thank you all very much

Jesse

Back