• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Summary of my performance mods- *long*

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I am driving a '92 XJ with the 4.0HO and AW4, 4x4. When I got it last fall with 111K miles I liked how it pulled in the upper RPMs, but it seemed to do 0-60 in June and would barely spin the tires on wet concrete. It just felt like it was dragging an anchor all the time- so I started tinkering. So far I have done a cold air intake with an air scoop bringing more air into the air box, bored throttle body, 2.5" cat, tailpipe and Series 70 Flowmaster. I also did new plugs, cap/rotor, sea foam injector cleaners and an oil catch can for the blowby.

Here's my impressions in the order I did the mods-

Oil catch can- Replaced CCV parts for $17 and haven't had a drop in the can. Definately no blowby which makes me feel better

Seafoam- The oil that had been blown into the air filter had made a mess out of everything, including the cat so I wanted to clean out the gunk in the engine as much as possible before I got my new exhaust. It worked OK. Smoooooooth idle, quiet injectors and less restriction in the exhaust (it felt like anyway, but it was still bad). Definately worth it in this case.

Exhaust- I have a 2.5" Magnaflow with Series 70 muffler and 2.5" tailpipe from Kolak. Definately got more on the top end, I can pass much better on the highway now, but I lost a little on the low end. Not much, but it was there. It was pretty dissapointing actually, I'm not sure what I was hoping for though. The old was rattleing and bad so it was still worth it.

Cold air- No change, temps dropped 20* the day after I did it.

Plugs- cap/rotor- Small change, not really a mod but it healped in the off-the-stoplight performance.

Bored TB- eh. Not much change, less noise from the muffler (yeah!) but minimal performance gain. Still barely spins the tires when wet, sluggish off the stoplight. ho-hum, I'm thinking most of these mods are just a bunch of hooey at this point.

Then I moved from 7500ft elevation to 4400ft and HOLY CRAP!! This thing drives like my old Studebaker with the high performance 289!! I'm breaking the tires loose all the time, fly off stoplights when I want, and get considerably better fuel economy now as well. Moving sucks, but at least that was a good part.

I think the next mods will be the injectors and an adjustable MAP sensor, it kinda seems like I needed one before. I was so close to abandoning upgrades too, what a money-pit, lol.

Back