• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ox u joints ?

afd516

NAXJA Forum User
Do they sell a rebuild kit? If so, approx. how much and who sells them? Also, 297 joints and 760 joints interchangeable? I think that is what I understand but I am still unclear. If so what is the difference between the 2?

I kind of did a quick search and came up with nothing on them being rebuildable. I am still searching though. TIA

There is no rebuild kit available. There main reason is that we line hone the body once the bushings are set in to ensure the joint is perfectly true. We do offer a rebuild program for the 297. $80 per joint and you receive all new parts a brand new joint and a new one year warranty
Feel free to contact me if you have questions.
George
813-486-9506
www.ox-usa.com

How do you figure you would only save $50??

so they sold for $60 + 12 ahipping
72 + 80 for a rebuild + shipping to OX and back say $25
so 72
25=
$177 for 2 OX joints

they retail for $150 each
x 2 plus shipping

;)

I know JE Reel are only
$90 each http://www.ok4wd.com/product.asp?id=654
and longfields are
$135 each http://www.longfieldsuperaxles.com/

but if you have xome credit on your PP account from somethin ya sold well its kinda like a trade isnt it;)

Last edited:
$69 for the bad pair off of ebay. One is missing a cap. I do not know if that makes a difference to the dealer or not.
$80 x 2= $160 for the replacements. I believe this is where your math is off. I do not know what the shipping would be to recieve the new ones. $160 + $69= $229

On 4 Wheel Parts they are $138 x 2= $276 + $25 for shipping = $301

$301 - $229= $72

I roughly figured in my head $50 but it actually would have been $48 because I did not account for the shipping from 4 wheel parts.

So had I of won these u- joints I would have saved $72 - the cost of shipping to send off the old one and recieve the replacements. Which would probably be actual shipping of $10-$12 or so each way. savings of $48-$52.

I would just assume pay the $300 for the new ones rather than wait on shipping from the guy on ebay to me. From me to an Ox dealer then from the Ox dealer to me. Time is money.

Now, if I had a pair sitting on my garage floor or bought some in these condition from a friend for like $50. That changes things.

What would you do?

afd516 said:
$69 for the bad pair off of ebay. One is missing a cap. I do not know if that makes a difference to the dealer or not.
$80 x 2= $160 for the replacements. I believe this is where your math is off. I do not know what the shipping would be to recieve the new ones. $160 + $69= $229

On 4 Wheel Parts they are $138 x 2= $276 + $25 for shipping = $301

$301 - $229= $72

I roughly figured in my head $50 but it actually would have been $48 because I did not account for the shipping from 4 wheel parts.

So had I of won these u- joints I would have saved $72 - the cost of shipping to send off the old one and recieve the replacements. Which would probably be actual shipping of $10-$12 or so each way. savings of $48-$52.

I would just assume pay the $300 for the new ones rather than wait on shipping from the guy on ebay to me. From me to an Ox dealer then from the Ox dealer to me. Time is money.

Now, if I had a pair sitting on my garage floor or bought some in these condition from a friend for like $50. That changes things.

What would you do?

I realize I could take it in the shorts for this buy
also Im prolly only going to rebuild one
Im asuming that one is in good condition like the auction says..
Hey I can alsways ebay again if I dont like what I see.. :laugh3:

I'd toss the OXs and run 760-5 Spicer's with full circle clips. Cheaper and will last longer and probably stronger.

Or through some CTM's in there (with alloy shafts of course) if you are looking for the ultimate in strength.

VegasAnthony said:

Oh, you won these? Good luck with them. As long as all goes smooth than maybe it would be worth it. I did not know enough about them to bid. Update on how the deal was. Like you said, you can ebay again or not have any issues and save a little money. Either way, you got new joints or you are back you started which is with nothing, like I have now. :laugh3:

i know of several guys that have popped an OX joint in dana 60s of course they're beatin on em pretty hard with built V8s and 42" tires..

my train of thought leads me to believe that if something is gonna break i would rather it be a u-joint than an axle shaft, unless of course the u-joint shears the yoke off the axle shaft when it breaks then both are F'd-up..

afd516 said:
Oh, you won these? Good luck with them. As long as all goes smooth than maybe it would be worth it. I did not know enough about them to bid. Update on how the deal was. Like you said, you can ebay again or not have any issues and save a little money. Either way, you got new joints or you are back you started which is with nothing, like I have now. :laugh3:

thats what I was thinking

cracker said:
760-5 Spicer's with full circle clips. ... probably stronger.

:wierd:
care to explain that??

Kejtar said:
How do you figure? (not the cheaper part but the longer and stronger?)

I heard only bad reviews. The bearing surface (trunion) is way to far inboard so it sees a rediculous amount of stress.

'The torque applied to the joint is transfered to a normal force on the bearing cap or trunion, this force is proportional to the distance from the center. The wider the joint is, the less this force is, that's why bigger=stronger. Now the OX joint moves the bearings or trunions closer to the center, effectively putting more load on the trunions or bearings From rough measurements, that load is approx. 70% more on an OX than a comparable CTM or Spicer. Plus, now there is a moment applied to the bearing since it has the seperate stub trunions.' (stolen from Pirate 4x4)

Spicer 5-297's and 5-760's often fail because they spit the clips out and lose a cap. Full Circle Clips will solve this (with shafts that can accept these). There is a reason why these are spec'd OEM. They last a real long time. It is often you go into a yard and find a 30+ year old axle with Spicer joints and they still spin. afd516 is talking about rebuilding an OX and how long has he had them? I am sorry but wear like this (the OX) eventually will lead to failure where the Spicer will probably outlast the OX. I am pretty sure (didn't dig up the numbers) that the sheer strength of the OX is probably higher though.

Shell out for CTMs. If you cannot afford it I would suggest the Longfield or Yukon/Jantz joints.

I am sure OXARMY1 will have a coronary but I totally appreciate a vendor trying to take care of their product. Obviously customer service is top notch and being a consumer, that says a lot for a company.

Last edited:
VegasAnthony said:

Sorry, for driving the price up on you, had I known a fellow NAXJ'er was bidding on these I wouldn't have bid.

I have heard others complain about our design applying to much pressure but I would really like to here from someone who is having or had this problem happen to them. I always hear about someone who knew someone (nothing derogatory about anyone here) but never from the actual user. The biggest problem that we face is the DD who installs the u-joint and never greases them. Six month later the brass bushing is showing wear from running dry against the steel trunnion. I have had a customer claim to use the joints for 35k miles on his DD with nothing more than monthly greasing with Amsoil racing 200 grease. I can’t prove this. This is just what he told me.

Regarding the Dana 60 joint; Raven Racing just finished there entire 2005 rock racing season on a single set of our u-joints and they are still like new. I really want to talk to anyone who has destroyed our Dana 60 joints.

There are pros and cons to every design, and our u-joints are not for everyone, but we stand behind what we make and try to fit the right product to the right user. Also keep in mind that when we rebuild these you are back under warranty for the next 12 months.
Sorry in advance if this seemed preachy.
George,
813-486-9506

afd516 said:
Did I miss out on a deal?
I prefer to say you provided me with one. :kissyou:
Seriously though, the short shaft is waggy length but the long shaft is 1" longer.
I'm just about to start cutting on my HP 44 so they'll work fine for me.

Back