• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for better ride.

beckXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 Xj Sport, with a Rusty's 3 inch lift. I decided to go with the full packs because I didn't want to have to replace them shortly after I bought them. I'd say I got roughly 3.5 inches from the rear, and a good 3 inches up front. I didn't purchase an SYE or CV Driveshaft with the kit because of money issues at the time. The kit came with springs(front and back), shocks(Rusty's brandname), and a brake line extension for the rear brake line. As some may know, this thing rides pretty stiff, I can really feel, and hear, when I hit a bump. So what I was wondering was how to improve upon the ride. Would adding some new controls arms, lower, upper, or both help me out? Also, I get some vibrations when accelerating and was wondering if that would be due to not having an SYE or CV driveshaft? If I buy the SYE and driveshaft, along with a new set of control arms, and even some new shocks help make my ride feel better? Let me know what you guys think, and if you have done anything to help improve your ride quality let me know. I'm all ears.

Last edited:
beckXJ said:
I have a 1996 Xj Sport, with a Rusty's 3 inch lift. I decided to go with the full packs because I didn't want to have to replace them shortly after I bought them. I'd say I got roughly 3.5 inches from the rear, and a good 3 inches up front. I didn't purchase an SYE or CV Driveshaft with the kit because of money issues at the time. The kit came with springs(front and back), shocks(Rusty's brandname), and a brake line extension for the rear brake line. As some may know, this thing rides pretty stiff, I can really feel, and hear, when I hit a bump. So what I was wondering was how to improve upon the ride. Would adding some new controls arms, lower, upper, or both help me out? Also, I get a lot of vibrations when accelerating and was wondering if that would be due to not having an SYE or CV driveshaft? If I buy the SYE and driveshaft, along with a new set of control arms, and even some new shocks help make my ride feel better? Let me know what you guys think, and if you have done anything to help improve your ride quality let me know. I'm all ears.

Don't mean to be rude, but searching always works!

However, I have the 6.5" rusty's kit and the shocks that came with the kit are stiff. (agree with you). One of the things you could do is purchase a good set of shocks. That would help.

As with the vibrations, Yes. Lifting the vehicle without modifying any driveline will cause vibrations. Not to mention it puts stress on the u-joints and the tcase. You should look into getting the SYE and driveshaft regardless. :wave:

Scott

Like helix said long arms are great. When you price it out it will wortk almost the same:
Long Arms: (depending on brand) $500-$900

The short arm solution: (again depending on brands) Adjustable uppers $160, Adjustable Lowers $250, Drop Brackets and braces: $350 Total is just shy of $800.

You can do without the DBs but it will still ride like crap with adjustables. I would stay away from Rusty's arms because in my experience, even very mild (dirt) roads blew out the bushings. I had RE lowers and Nth Mobility uppers without DBs and it was a little better but not nearly as sweet of a ride as Long Arms

GirlScout1 said:
Like helix said long arms are great. When you price it out it will wortk almost the same:
Long Arms: (depending on brand) $500-$900

The short arm solution: (again depending on brands) Adjustable uppers $160, Adjustable Lowers $250, Drop Brackets and braces: $350 Total is just shy of $800.

You can do without the DBs but it will still ride like crap with adjustables. I would stay away from Rusty's arms because in my experience, even very mild (dirt) roads blew out the bushings. I had RE lowers and Nth Mobility uppers without DBs and it was a little better but not nearly as sweet of a ride as Long Arms

I only have around 3 inches of lift in front, would I need any more lift if I were to do long arms? I've heard that long arms are useless untill around 4.5 inches of lift. Is this true?

Problem with going with a long arm setup is that youll need more lift...most need at least 4.5-5 inches to even start to fit properly...

Ive got 5" of lift on my cherokee with short arms and no drop brackets and it rides decent....washboard roads are NO fun but for the most part, it rides acceptable and does VERY well offroad. Your shocks are probably your biggest downfall currently. Id swap them out for a better aftermarket brand....something that it known for not being so stiff(the rusties are fairly notorious for this).

True Jeff but he is talking about adding spacers/shackles to his 3" kit which is gonna put him over that 4.5" mark. Which reminds me Beck-if you only got 3" in the front than you got lucky. Most end up with closer to 5" in the beginning and settle at around 4"ish...mainly due to the fact that the springs are designed to carry heavier loads than a stock (bumpers, tire carrier, winch)

Jeez i wish i netted close to 5" then maybe it woulden't look so slanted... i got about 2.5 in the front and about 6 in the rear :D

beckXJ said:
Looking for a better ride.

I suggest you should buy a Caddilac for a better ride. Very comfortable.

Just fawkin with ya.
lol.gif

Like Jeffro600 said, try some shocks. How long ago did you install the lift? It does take a some time to wear in. A dude at work used Rustys 6.5 LA kit, and that thing rides like shit. Bouncy, hard, ect. ect. ect. But as he has been wheelin it a little more, he says its getting a little softer, and starting to wear in. Just some food for thought.

Well, i'm not looking to add spacers or anything, and i've got around 3.5 inches in front, closer to 4 in the back. I just measured. So, some new control arms, perhaps shocks, and the SYE/driveshaft for the vibrations should do me good?

beckXJ said:
Well, i'm not looking to add spacers or anything, and i've got around 3.5 inches in front, closer to 4 in the back. I just measured. So, some new control arms, perhaps shocks, and the SYE/driveshaft for the vibrations should do me good?

Id start with just the shocks and SYE....new control arms, unless they are ALOT longer or your current bushings are SHOT, wont help your ride.

Jeffro600 said:
Id start with just the shocks and SYE....new control arms, unless they are ALOT longer or your current bushings are SHOT, wont help your ride.

How can I tell if my bushings are bad? Also, I have the stock control arms on, and they tend to pull the axle back a few inches. I doubt that this is good for it, so i'm thinking that I should buy some new arms anyways.

Back