• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS wagoneer and xj dana 44 axle shafts

fourwheelerjeff

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 91 xj with a wagoneer front dana 44. the rear has an xj dana 44, to get the same bolt pattern i have been using a spacer and adapter to get the 6x5.5 pattern. i am also running different rim offsets and widths between front and rear to help keep the track the same. i wanted to get the track and lug pattern the same so i recently purchased a wagoneer rear 44 to go underneath it. however after measuring both rear 44's, i am wondering if i can just swap axle shafts and brake drums out. will the wagoneer dana 44 rear axle shafts fit in the rear of the xj dana 44 and seal up right?

lots of good info in this thread; http://www.naxja.org/forum/printthread.php?t=19665&page=1&pp=20, (see i did a search) but not exactly what i am looking for.

thanks

I don't think so, I thought the XJ 44 is wider than the Waggy version, but I can't be sure. Are the drums the same size? If you had some shafts made with a 6x5.5 for the XJ, would the brake drum fit? That makes replacement shafts an issue though.

I think Superior's shafts for an XJ come dual drilled, then you could convert the front to 5x5.5 using a ford rotor? The problem there is the cost of new rims.

Greg

haha, I though this was a For Sale post when I first saw it... wondered why it was still in the tech section...

If you've already got the Waggy 44, why not simply use that? If you've got gears and locker and such in the XJ D44, just swap those parts into the Waggy rear 44 and sell the XJ housing and shafts. All you should have to do to get the Waggy 44 ready to install is set up some spring perches (might already be in the right place from what I've read) and shock mounts.

If you decide to go the 5x5.5" route, I've got a set of 5x5.5" Dutchman alloys for an XJ D44 that I'm trying to sell. :laugh3:

Back