• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft Position Sensor?

Rasputin

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting code 54. Is this the camshaft position sensor? If so, is this a dealer only part and how much are they going for?

I've never had to buy one, though I've had to clean the connector out twice. I'd try that first.

BTT. Situation: 91 Jeep Cherokee w/I-6 cranks but won't turn over.

Other info: replaced fouled plugs. Engine is getting fuel.
Have spark, and air cleaner is good/clean/dry. Replaced dist cap because it had green deposits on terminals inside cap(moisture?). Replaced rotor too.
Last week I pulled codes 12, 54, 55. Code 54 being the camshaft position sensor. I haven't put a new one in yet as I was checking grounds and for bare wires. Everything looked OK. Now after letting the battery charge back up, I get codes 12,55 and not 54. I disconnected the camshaft sensor with the ignition on and re-connected it before I got the current codes. Still nothing but cranking.

Question 1: If the Camshaft pos sensor was bad, would it
cause the engine not to turn over even if it's getting air,
fuel and spark?

Question 2: Is it easier for a novice just to replace the whole
distributor rather than taking it apart to put in a new sensor?

thanks for assistance

The camshaft position sensor is inside the distributor, and relatively easy to replace. Much simpler that replacing the entire distributor - take the distributor cap off, and the rotor, the sensor is underneath the rotor. iirc it just drops in place. they can be bought at most decent parts stores.

Back