• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 problems

michelik

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is 98.
When I select FULL TIME the tcase works locked, such as PART TIME.
I can´t feel the difference between FULL TIME and PART TIME.
I need some help please.
Thanks

In Full Time drive in the tightest circle you can drive in a parking lot, it will feel normal, in Part Time do the same and you'll feel the steering wheel buck a little bit.

With Full Time you can drive on dry pavement and not mess anything up, in Part Time you can only use it on slippery loose surfaces or you'll have some driveline stuff break on you.

Just remember FUll Time you can use whenever you feel like, Part Time you can only use part of the time.

Hope this helps

Thanks, you helped me, sure.

In FULL TIME or PART TIME, driving in circle, I feel the steering wheel bucking a little bit.
I can´t feel difference between the positions.
I think FULL TIME is not working properly.
In my XJ FULL TIME = PART TIME

I'm guessing you've got the NV242, I know my buddy's 94 XJ with the 242 has Vacuum line stuff but they might have done away with it when they redid the XJ in 97.

Yes, according to the service manual, the model is NV242.
I´ve read the removal procedure and I couldn´t find nothing about Vacuum system.
I think it is not used in this model.

My understanding is that all NP242 transfer cases (regardless of year) were not vacuum-disconnect. This holds true on both my 2000 and a friend's '89.

One thing about the 242: it does not like unequal tyre pressures. Check them at all corners; the hopping effect you're seeing can be caused in part by this. Also change out the transfer case fluid (Dexron III/Mercron, NOT regular ATF or gear oil), which may help somewhat; it certainly did for me.

Oh, and worn ball joints / front end bushings can also contribute.

Go to the JEEP website and watch the video animation about 4x4 systems. The Liberty and the Cherokee have the exact same 4x4 system and control levers.
JEEP 4x4 systems

Tim_MN said:
Go to the JEEP website and watch the video animation about 4x4 systems. The Liberty and the Cherokee have the exact same 4x4 system and control levers.
JEEP 4x4 systems

i never seen that before, pretty cool

Tks. Very interesting.

I think I have found the problem: may be the lever.
When I choose FULL TIME passing by PART TIME the tcase remains locked.
If I choose 4LO, N and after that FULL TIME the tcase works free.
I´ll adjust the lever.

Back