• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Cooling

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking ahead to next summer.

What do you think about this for fuel cooling?
flx-4136.jpg

Sold Here:

Item # FLX-4136

RTicUL8 said:
Sorry, not too much,
I think shielding the fuel lines in certain high heat areas will provide comparable results. Heat transfer from the exhaust to the fuel tank should also not be ignored. No matter where that is mounted it will never lower the fuel below ambient air temperature. When the fuel starts boiling in the tank as a result of high altitude and summer heat, the solution will have to be a little more creative than that.
OTOH, I have a similar cooler on my power steering.

What about one of these?

65125_part.jpg

I used to run a cool can in my dirt track car. It was a homebrew coffee can/copper tubing unit.

prb24 said:
What about one of these?

65125_part.jpg

I used to run a cool can in my dirt track car. It was a homebrew coffee can/copper tubing unit.

I saw the same thing too, but you have to add ice and water to the can. I'm not going to do that every time.
* I was thinking about my '00 XJ. I have already done the TSB repair to the 3rd injector. I even wrapped the whole fuel rail in heat shield tape, but it still seems to have the problem with the studdering after getting hot, stopping, and restarting.

RTicUL8 said:
I saw the same thing too, but you have to add ice and water to the can. I'm not going to do that every time.

x2
RTicUL8 said:
* I was thinking about my '00 XJ. I have already done the TSB repair to the 3rd injector. I even wrapped the whole fuel rail in heat shield tape, but it still seems to have the problem with the studdering after getting hot, stopping, and restarting.

I don't have much trouble even at 110* down in the valley (~1500') where I live. If I am going to have a problem it is when I'm running around town where the engine compartment has built up heat. After cruising around at highway speeds there doesn't seem to be a problem. Buuuuuuuuuut at ~90* up on the hill, I'd say in the neighborhood of 5500' and above is a different story. The higher the altitude above sea level, the lower the boiling point. Actually, it is the lower barometric pressure, but hey, close enough.

As of yet I have not put any heat shielding on the fuel lines. One of these years, it might actually happen. Another thought is to bring the fuel line in on the cool side of the engine. Running past the pre-cats and such as DC did can't be helping matters, especially with out any type of vent in the hood.

Rather than the high zoot cooler, even a coffee can version of the same share a common shortcoming. Run the line through a canvas bag that will hold a couple quarts of water, allowing you the ability to cap it. The evaporation will keep cooler much longer than the ice. Besides that, water exchanges heat much, much better than ice. The bags are commercially available somewhere; my grandfather always had a couple of them hanging over the grill on his pickup truck. Truth of the matter is that neither would work for me; I am waaaaay too lazy.

:speepin:

those are used mostly in drag racing, you fill the can with ice for each run.

RTicUL8 said:
I'm thinking ahead to next summer.

flx-4136.jpg

Sold Here:

Item # FLX-4136
Put that in a bag of ice and it'll cool the fuel.
The fuel going through the tranny cooler will already be at ambient temperature.
You won't be cooling anything.
Use that for your tranny and you'll actually cool something.

Early XJ's run a bypass regulator, that means that the fuel is constantly circulating from the tank, through the fuel rail, then back to the tank. A cooler will do very little in that configuration. In hot weather, it may actually make it worse.

old_man said:
Early XJ's run a bypass regulator, that means that the fuel is constantly circulating from the tank, through the fuel rail, then back to the tank. A cooler will do very little in that configuration. In hot weather, it may actually make it worse.
I think in ANY weather, that thing will only act as plain old fuel line.

Back