• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick center console question

Are the consoles from a manual-transmission XJ and an automatic the same? I want to put a 97+ center console in my 90, and it would be easier if I could use one from an auto. Can I just get rid of the shift bezel and put on my shift boot, or are the cutouts different sizes/locations?

TIA.
Matt

I've read that thread; I was simply wondering if I could put the center console out of an auto into my manual. Judging by the following two photos from that thread, it looks like the plastic bezel on the auto is removable, and in the same place as the manual's shift boot:

SideViewofConsoleResized.jpg

xj_console_99_into_90.jpg

I know a 97+ console can go into a 96-; I was just asking if the console out of an automatic XJ will work in a manual one.

It should, we converted a buddy's TJ from auto to stick and we didn't have to change anything major(console-wise) but the one in a TJ might be different than an XJ one even though they both look alike...

I think if you put the auto 97+ console into a manual you will also need the base plate for the manual shift boot. The later console has a lopsided baseplate insert for the shift boot, which is different from that in the earlier ones. It looks as if the boot itself is probably the same.

I converted from my '90 large auto console to a small Comanche console. The center boots snap in and out, so I kept my shutter shade boot from the auto. All the parts seem to be modular and snap in - shift indicator, 4wd indicator, etc. As said, the '97 up is different, as usual.

Back