• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How necessary are the drop bracket support braces?

XJ99

NAXJA Forum User
So how Important are they? Am I find to drive without the supports on the road, Im obviously gonna put them on before I go wheeling so their sturdier and tie in to the frame, but when I went to Install them I couldnt because my rock rail connection points on the frame rail are welded and bolted up right in the middle of where the braces would lay. I think Im gonna to Just cut and grind them off and bolt up the brace then and try to rebrace the rock rails...

I have heard of a few people doing it but the braces would sure help. It may not be the best idea but it can be done. Big thing you want to watch out for is twisting something up to where you cant get the braces on very well.

for day-to-day driving there shouldnt be any real issues. if you wheel it without them you take the chance of ripping the CA mounts off the frame because of the added leverage against them.

if you were just cruizin it would be alright but if you ever have to hit the brakes hard you are putting a lot of force on an unsupported mount.

i have seen a bunch of people run without them but wouldnt' recomend it

I cant believe that they sell DB without the braces!!!

yoiu could casue some serious damge to your vehicle or others if those things fold on ya...

VegasAnthony said:
I cant believe that they sell DB without the braces!!!

yoiu could casue some serious damge to your vehicle or others if those things fold on ya...

Trailmaster sold them starting years ago, all without braces.

It's better to run the drop brackets with the braces. I've seen trail rigs risk it and not run the braces with the brackets, so instead of sliding off of the brackets, they slam down on the frame rails, which causes them to cave in, which in turn makes the brackets crooked. It wasn't that bad for the trail rig, but for a daily driver, I would recommend them.

You might be okay just driving on the street, but would recommend the braces. They probably sell the brackets w/o the braces because they figured the mall crawlers wouldn't need the braces.

I recently installed Trailmaster drop brackets with the RE braces. Had a little trouble getting all the holes lined up. My rock rail brackets also interfered with the braces. So I ground off the lower piece of the brackets. If I find it necessary, I could have the rock rail brackets welded to the braces.

No I have the braces Just aint able to put them on because of the way my rock rails are mounted...I'll have to grind off the plates on my rock rails and mount the braces...I was definatley going to put them on before I wheeled It, Just making sure I can drive It around in the mean time, thanks

As others have said you will be fine without the braces. I ran mine without the braces on the road for about a month and had no problems. I have to say though that those things were a big PITA to install. I had to re-drill some of the hole and getting everything to line up was not fun. Hope you have better luck than I did.

xjohnnyc said:
They probably sell the brackets w/o the braces because they figured the mall crawlers wouldn't need the braces.

Not to mention...drop brackets will also work on Comanches. But Comanches have a different, stronger LCA mount and the braces will not work.

Ive had drop brackets for almost a year and no braces on them. Ive wheeled this thing kinda hard too. Ive run most 4's and a couple 5's at superlift and I have had no problems with bending or anything. Ive had people watch the brackets as I come down on them and all kinds of stuff and so far no bending. I'm not convinced of the need for them. So until I start seeing proof of them rip control arm mounts off the frame, im going to go without them.

olivedrabcj7 said:
Ive had drop brackets for almost a year and no braces on them. Ive wheeled this thing kinda hard too. Ive run most 4's and a couple 5's at superlift and I have had no problems with bending or anything. Ive had people watch the brackets as I come down on them and all kinds of stuff and so far no bending. I'm not convinced of the need for them. So until I start seeing proof of them rip control arm mounts off the frame, im going to go without them.

Or when it happens to you, you can get longs arms. Problem solved.............:rolleyes:

wellp their on and Im able to drive It fine without them. I definatley dont think I'll wheel without them though. Every time I hit a bump or pot hole in the road I can hear them almost thump and I think Its because the braces arnt there? Is that normal for them to be noisy when hitting bumps like that?

do not wheel without them, due to time i wasnt able to finish bolting up my braces completely and the DB would move while offroad.

from first-hand experience i'll say they're absolutely a necessity.

my cousin "had" a trailmaster 4 1/2" db lift without braces, one trip through the rubicon and the lca brackets were ready to tear off, and the framerails behind the mounts took a beating

Back