• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to the scene and need some help!

RenegadeJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all! Let me just say I have finally found sanctuary! This place is Holy Ground. I have been looking for a XJ only message board for a while now and then I stumble on this one and I find a specific SoCal Chapter! Heck Yeah!
Well guys I just bought my XJ a couple of months ago and I'm just itching to turn it into my own personal JEEPZILLA.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with something. I'm running a 92 Laredo, 4.0L and I just bought the Tomken 6" lift. I was going to go for a 3, but when I stumbled on tomken, I couldn't help myself. Anyways I was reading around and some 6" lift kits require a slip yoke eliminator and some just recomend one. It's another chunk of change and I just want to know what this thing does and do I need it? Is it for bump steer? Also would 35s rub on a 6" lift? I don't want to do any fender cutting so I was thinking 33x10s.....

Last but not least any really good Jeep shops down here in Socal for both maintence and performance/off-road?

Oh and just from my own expierence so far, any of you guys with that aftermarket cupholder? Drill the holes out of the bottom so that cups can sink in and anchor rather than tip over. (Especially for offroading!)

Thanks so much guys!
Matt
[email protected]

1992 Cherokee
4.0L
Mods- I got the cup holder!

RenegadeJeeper said:
Oh and just from my own expierence so far, any of you guys with that aftermarket cupholder? Drill the holes out of the bottom so that cups can sink in and anchor rather than tip over. (Especially for offroading!)

Yeah but what do you do with the Pepsi can?

Matt,

Welcome! Also check out http://www.socalxj.com and go to the yahoo groups for another all SoCal XJ group. Anyway Tomken is a good lift system, but for the money I would rather go with a Rubicon Express 5.5" system & 33s.... I'm not to sure about the Tomken system (not to knock them or anything) but I have the RE 4.5" lift and the ride is extremely smooth. I think best all around solid lift.

Just my $0.02

Scott S.
NAXJA Member #631

Re: Re: New to the scene and need some help!

karstic said:
Yeah but what do you do with the Pepsi can?

There's 2 fixes for that. The pepsi cans will still fit its just hard to grab them because the e-brake lever will still hold them. But I had an idea, Drill one hole and leave the other.... that way if you get a big drink it'll fit or a coke can will still fit. You don't need 2 cause anyone in shotgun can hold their own drink. :)

Hey Thanks man! Well I dunno I got the Tomken on sale for a steal so I figured.... The REs I saw were expensive, plus I have only been able to find reviews on Tomken and Rusty lifts.... I mean I bought this Tomken for 650 (+50 SH).

You DON"T need a cup holder. There are at least two reasons that I can think of at the moment.

#1 A full roll of duct tape placed on the pass. seat will keep most standard size drinks from tipping over.

#2 Pepsi cans or any other container that is open at the top will be empty before you get very far down the trail anyway.

#3 (personal favorite) 32oz. bottles of Gatorade/Powerade bottles were specifically sized to be held snugly in place when inserted between the side of the drivers seat and the E-brake lever. Anyone else in the Jeep can hold on to there own.

Well dont ya know it...somebody copied my name! ;) :D Welcome! I would also recomend a RubiconExpress lift. Im running a 4.5" RE lift with .75" coil spacers up fornt and 33x10.50's. Works perfect! On all XJ you have to cut the fenders if you want to go any bigger than a 31" tire though, the wheelwell is not phyisicly big enough to fit a bigger tire that 31".

pic.php
pic.php
14.jpg

Back