• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to start first...

jrfender1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm new to the 4X4 scene and just bought a '92 Cherokee Laredo. I plan to doing some off-roading in the future as well as normal, everyday driving of course. I was wondering where was a good place to start on modifications. Should I start with performance (intake, header, exhaust...) or start with suspension (lifts, wheels, tires...)? Are there certain brands of equipment I should consider? Any good shops in or around Raleigh, NC specific to 4X4's? How capable is a bone stock XJ off-road? I would appreciate any information and suggestions anyone has.

rock rails, skid plates 1st. then tires,lift, and axle upgrades. IMHO, but i may be wrong.

Skid plates a must, if you plan on doing alot of local stuff go see what you might come across and go from there.....no sense in buying something if it is not useable

come down to uhwarrie sat nite, your XJ will do fine there or if you want to you can ride with me. i only have 1" lift and 30X9.50's and unlocked.

Agree with armor and skids...then decide where ya want to go from there...

no sence doing +2"/30", then turn right around for +4-5"/32"

Same for gearing... decide where ya want to end up before halfstepping on expensive stuff like gears (& labor)

I feel that a mildly built XJ is a very capable vehicle...

Come on out to Uwharrie Saturday evening if you can.

What time do you guys go out to Uhwarrie Saturday night? I get off work about 5:30. I've never been there and have no idea how to get there. Anyone from Raleigh going? 2offroad, that would be cool to ride with someone the first couple of times to get use to the feel off being off road sense all this is so new to me. If I could make it, would you mind if I invited a friend along, he's used to performance cars and I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it. I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of cool people in the new sport I've stumbled into. Are there local clubs or groups that go wheeling and have get togethers in the Raleigh area? Thanks to everyone for you responses.

i'll be hitting the trail about 7:30 so come on the trails are off hwy 109 near Troy. both of you can come along but you will have to chose who gets shotgun yourself. PM me and let me know where you are coming from and i will get the info, or ask Woody.
also look here.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7437

Last edited:
Probably the most direct route from Raleigh area is US1 s to cary, 64 w to 49 s in Asheboro, 49 to 109 s (near Denton) Uwharrie trails and the Eldorado Outpost are on the R/S of 109...cross the "under construction" bridge over the Uwharrie River & you gone too far...

Alt route: US 1 to Carthage, 24/27 W to Troy, 109N to Uwharrie (Trails and Outpost on the LHS, maybe 3/4 mi past the river bridge)

I could meet up at the Outpost - a store/gas station - at like 7ish.

I have a funny story about Uwharrie....went up last weekend to play around with the XJ....ran into a guy with a pretty new...boner slap...Nissan Pathfinder going up the trails! We hooked up with him (for the show) and let him follow us. He stayed with us a little and then turned around at the first sign of challenge and went out. We stopped and talked to him for a minute before he left.

Here's the funny part.....He works for a Nissan dealership and the Nissan he was driving was off the lot! I thought we would die when we found out! Moral of the story.....look for mud if buying a car in these parts!
Bonnie

I will definately let you guys know if i can make it but in case I can't hopefully next time. I was wondering if there was a park charge or anything. I asked one of my 4X4 buddies and he said he couldn't remember. Does anyone have anymore interesting stories from Uwharrie?

USFS charges $5 per day (per vehicle) to run the trails, or if ya go up there a bunch, you can get a seasonal pass at the Ranger station (on Hwy 24/27 E of Troy) for $30...a bargain if ya go more than 6 times. I got my pass on opening day. The passes once were good for 1 year from the date of purchase... anymore they are just for the season purchased in...so unless ya plan for a bunch of trips between now & December, pay by the day at the trailhead.

BTW Mark...woody at work is same as Woody...we got a new PC at work and I couldn't remember my passwords...so I set up a new profile.

Interesting stories from Uwharrie LOL, just a couple ;)

Last edited:
sorry i didn't know, meeting at the outpost or flintlock ridge?

I figure I can catch anyone interested at the outpost (who may not be able to find the shootin range) then head up the hill and meet up with you.

sounds like a plan. jrfender1 just let me know if you want to ride with me and we will meet up.

let's wheel call me if you want to ride with me. 7047938866

Sorry about this weekend. Some crap came up at work and I had to fill in. I hear from a friend of mine that there are a few of the Nissan guys going up there soon. Also a few people from jeepin.com. I'll try to find out more but I'm sure they'll post the trip when they get it together.

Back