• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector Q...

DIGITRUCK

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Got a set of 6 Fuel Injectors along with the Fuel reg and rail from a 4.0L in the Junk Yard ('91 Laredo 188k mi) for $80.

1. Good Price?

2. Are they still good at that miles?

3. The tips of 5 of them are cone shaped while one of them is flat? Think that cone shape is just the O-Ring or did an injector break and leave its tip in the hole?

4. How do you clean them?

5. Should I soak them in something if so what should I use?

Thx, Phil

I bought 6 brand new injectors from 5' o motor sports including shipping for $50.00. Why would you need another fuel rail ? does yours have a hole in it?

PETEY said:
I bought 6 brand new injectors from 5' o motor sports including shipping for $50.00. Why would you need another fuel rail ? does yours have a hole in it?

Dude
That is a super price do you have a link to this "5' o motor" company that you bought from?
the one I found http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/Injector_SetsJEEP.asp
are much more
if the company you bought from is only $50.00 for a set, it is the deal of the year

Last edited:
PETEY said:

Hey Petey,

Which injectors did you get and how did you get them for only $50?

I got the fuel rail and regulator since the guy at the junk yard wanted $70 for the six injectors and he didn't want to take them off more work for him I guess so I threw in another $10 for the extra parts. Never hurts to have an extra of something ;)

Can someone ans my remaining questions in my post please.

Thx, Phil

Hey--

1. I wouldn't have paid that for used injectors, but that is my preference.

2. I was having fuel problems on my 1990 at 169xxx and decided to change them at that point. The ones I took off were pretty nasty.

3. It appears that one of them is cracked off, as all 6 should be conical on one end.

4. I don't know...I would guess you could soak them in fuel injector cleaner, but won't swear to it.

5. See # 4.

**I think that I paid about $220 +/- for 6 new injectors from fiveomotorsports.com. I am happy with them. They are "4 jet" instead of the stock "1 jet" so supposedly they should give better atomization upon pulsing.

If I were in your shoes, I would return the whole shooting match to the boneyard and order new. Even with these old ones, you will still need to go buy a new set of o-rings.

Good luck

here it is:
www.fiveomotorsports.com
e-mail: [email protected]
phone orders/tech (562) 867-4999, (562) 394-7212

I was looking on Ebay one day and found them brand new for $50.00 on the buy it now option. Perhaps they were on sale or something. I don't really know. I di know that I couldn't pass it up as they want about $75.00 a piece for them at the local auto shops. They were the yellow Bosch ones with the four holes in the end. Just so you know they are for a Ford 5.0, but they work just fine.

Last edited:
Cottontail said:
Hey--
2. I was having fuel problems on my 1990 at 169xxx and decided to change them at that point. The ones I took off were pretty nasty.
Did you have any drivability issues that prompted you to replace the injectors?

Yeah, my drivability problem was the truck wouldn't start so I couldn't drive it!

It was a part of my troubleshooting. That is why I swapped them.

Does anyone have a source other than Jeep for the transmission and injector o-rings? I'm working with a buddy rebuilding two XJs. We have plenty of intact clips, scvanged from several vehicles, along with the spacers. We just need new o-rings and I refuse to pay the dealership $25 per end (comes out to about $150 per vehicle). I don't need the fancy plastic suppository tool that comes with the jeep o-rings, I'm pretty good with an o-ring pick.

Anyone know what sizes these o-rings are or know anything about their material makeup (Buna-N, Fluorosilicone)?

I'd just ditch the quick disconnects altogether but the fuel rail kind of messes that up. No easy way to convert that I can tell to a hose clamp. So, I imagine if I find the o-rings for one, it'll probably cost me less than $1 each and I might as well have 'em all.

Cottontail said:
Yeah, my drivability problem was the truck wouldn't start so I couldn't drive it!
It was a part of my troubleshooting.
Could you please elaborate on how your troubleshooting narrowed this problem down to injectors?

Hey Man,
I was in the fix for the injector swap, got the injectors from E-bay and they were junk. Just MY luck to get #$%^&*. \
Put in the old ones with a new O-Ring kit from ADVANCED AUTO the o-rings cost me $11.00 for the set.
I didn't like the 5.0 set took them out and in the box on the shelf, lost 3 tips through the motor changed back and runs like a top.
WVridgerunner

Nevada City Sparky said:
Does anyone have a source other than Jeep for the transmission and injector o-rings? I'm working with a buddy rebuilding two XJs. We have plenty of intact clips, scvanged from several vehicles, along with the spacers. We just need new o-rings and I refuse to pay the dealership $25 per end (comes out to about $150 per vehicle). I don't need the fancy plastic suppository tool that comes with the jeep o-rings, I'm pretty good with an o-ring pick.

Anyone know what sizes these o-rings are or know anything about their material makeup (Buna-N, Fluorosilicone)?

I'd just ditch the quick disconnects altogether but the fuel rail kind of messes that up. No easy way to convert that I can tell to a hose clamp. So, I imagine if I find the o-rings for one, it'll probably cost me less than $1 each and I might as well have 'em all.

kind of reminds me of this:http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74435

anyway....I got my bosch 5.0 injectors at fiveo also and they were like 140.00 or something.I haven't had any probs out of them,they are a good deal.Lets hope all these mustang guys keep modding their crap so we can keep getting cheap injectors.If you decide to run the mustangs I would recommend 19lb for a stock 4liter.

Last edited:
Cottontail: Can you please describe how you've narrowed down injectors as the problem? I'm still trying to narrow down a problem on the my '89 shutting down after start and I wonder if injectors are the culprit.

Correction....a noid light will tell you if the injectors are getting any drive from the ECU, not if they are working.

old_man said:
Correction....a noid light will tell you if the injectors are getting any drive from the ECU, not if they are working.
I need a good test of whether the injectors are firing ok. The only way my truck will run is by pulling the vacuum line of the map sensor. Per langer1, this widenes the firing pulse to the injector, which makes sense. I would like to be sure, though, before I have to invest another $250 in repairs, unless I have to of course ....

old_man said:

Thanks for the correction.....I was going to add that it won't tell you if they are actually spraying but forgot to.

Re: Fuel Injector Q...for Serge

4xBob said:
How is your fuel pressure? Keeping the injectors open longer (wider pulse) could be making up for a low fuel pressure. Just an idea...
31psi with key on/running. 39 with regulator unplugged.

Back