• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running w.out fron gt driveshaft

tcm glx

NAXJA Member #1033
Is anyone running without the front driveshaft?? I am going to be doing a whole lot of travel for the next month, as was thinking of yanking it out since I will not do any four wheeling in the mean time.....how easy is it to do, will it harm anything.....?? Any answers would be appreciated.

If anything you will run more quietly and get a touch more gas mileage.

Three other guys and myself are driving everyday without front shafts. My reason is not haveing the front geared to the rear yet. Another guy does'nt have a proper length.
Four bolts at the T'case and four and the diff. Pull it out, maybe some vibes will go away too.

No problem - I've done it for a while, since I didn't have the dosh to replace them.

More fuel mileage? That's because there's less parasitic drag (with the early XJ', there's an axle disconnect. With later, the differential is always turning, so you're turning the gears and the driveshaft whether you want to or not.) It won't be much - but it can add up - it's the same reason people switch to manual lockout hubs up front...

5-90

5-90 said:
No problem - I've done it for a while, since I didn't have the dosh to replace them.

More fuel mileage? That's because there's less parasitic drag (with the early XJ', there's an axle disconnect. With later, the differential is always turning, so you're turning the gears and the driveshaft whether you want to or not.) It won't be much - but it can add up - it's the same reason people switch to manual lockout hubs up front...

5-90

The axle disconnect only disconnects the passenger side. The driver side still turns the diff and driveshaft.

Manual lockouts completely eliminate any parasitic drag. As well as allowing you to put your vehicle into 2Lo.

Erik

Back