• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front spring removal - HELP!

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my old stock springs off and have disconnected everything except for front driveshaft, and pittman arm to intermediate link. I rented an internal spring compressor. I forgot about the bumpstop (I thought the thing might screw out, no such luck! :eek: ) There is not much room for the compressor in there with the bumpstop,...should I have got the external MacPherson strut style compressor instead? :confused:
The spring is presently extended ~17" end/end. I had the axle compressed to 10" and was going to put the compressor on it and drop the axle - voila! :D
I'm installing OME 3"lift....front spring + 3/4" spacer = 3"

While I have your attention, I finished my rear lift and I got a little more than I bargained for.... The rear sets a lot more than 3" higher! I HAD 1" of sag and new 30" tall tires with <2" between top of tires and fenderwell lip. NOW I have ~8" :eek:
STOCK SHACKLES. OME Med Duty 5 leaf springs and Firm extended travel shocks. No other suspension or drivetrain mods...yet.

BLUTO :confused:

BLUTO, use the external compressor. Thats what I used and it worked great.

I agree with the external compressors, if you disconnect the control arms you should be able to drop the springs as well but for your lift that shouldn't be needed.

I don't use any spring compressor, I just disconnect the lower control arms, shocks, and sometimes track bar, and let it droop enough to pull the springs.

This may sound weird but I always take either a bottle jack or a hydraulic spreader and place it b/w the axle and the frame (making sure to but a large block of wood on the frame to ensure no damage) and crank it down (watching the break lines of course). Usually the springs basically fall out.

Just get the strut compressor, You'll need it to get the taller springs in anyway. Otherwise drop the LCA's and you'll be golden. W/out LCA's my 4.5" coils fall right out.

Spring help

Thanks for all of your advise, I will get the external compressor on my way to work.
Did anyone else have a brutal time trying to get their steering stabilizer out? :mad: I've tried heating the link bar, a lot of penetrant, and even a "pickle fork".....doesn't want to budge. I'm pretty sure the hole thru the linkbar IS-NOT threaded :confused:
I hope I don't have to break-out the BIG torch! ;)
Thanx again,
BLUTO :)

BTW... those OME steering stabilizers are freakin' hugh! :eek:

That bolt is a bitch. I PB Blastered the crap out of mine for about 2 weeks before changing the stabilizer. It's not threaded in, I just banged mine with a BFH for a while and it came out.

I agree with CJS about the bottle jack. I have the same OME lift as you and when I change spacers or something, all I do is unbolt the shocks, put the front on jackstands, and use the floor jack to lift one side up and the bottle jack to press the other side down. No need for a spring compressor yet. Please be careful, though, as an inproperly braced bottle jack can become dangerous if it suddenly slips out and goes airborne. I used the coil perch and the unibody. Good luck.

for the stabalizer I've found that whacking on the side of the sleeve it is in a few times along with some pb blaster tends to loosen it enough that you can just pound it out.

droop is the best way....

I've easily removed/mounted 8" lift springs with spacers this way....

get yer rig up high on quality jackstands, remove the tires, and let that axle droop!

I have external spring compressors, but after trying them a few times I decided they are a waste of time. I put 4.5" coils and 1 inch spacers in with short arms just using droop. Though it was a little hard, it would be way easier (me thinks) with long-arms.

front spring removal

Thankyou for all your input.
I just bought a spring compressor today, gonna tear into tonite after work. I'm going to show that stabilizer the trash can too, between the BFH and the oxy/acetyl torch...no more Mr nice Guy :firedevil ! I'm applying COPIOUS amounts of NeverSeize to all my fasteners and hardware! The new springs aren't much longer than my old ones, just a little thicker ;) .
I'll post some pics when I finish, thanks again for your comments and support.........

speaking of the torch , that is how I remove the stock springs. You should be able to put a 3" spring in without compressing it. The most I have ever had to disco was the lower arms. The bottle jack to force the axle down works well ( be careful, I broke my finger when a porta power let loose and smashed my finger against the car hoist last week doing that very thing). As long as your carefull (read: not me) it works fine.

Spring help

YEOW! :gee:
I'm gonna try the compressor (will sell or donate old parts). If that don't work (I'm betting it will ;) ), then out comes the torch and the sparks will fly! :flame:
I work with heavy equipt and often have to rig things (pipefitter), so I tend to be extra cautious when using items of "mechanical advantage" to do my bidding ;).....but even the best laid plans sometimes go to Hell real quick!:doh:
I can fix my backhoe with a 8# hammer, but that doesn't always work on my cars :D , and I've been patient with the BFH....but my patience has reached it's end. t's time to get this bitch OFF the blocks and ON the trails!:gonnablow

well you probably won't be surprised to here that I am a millwright...gimme a torch, hammer, and a welder and I will fix it (possibly breaking myself in the process).

Good luck :D

Spring help

Just got home from work, looked at the Jeep and said "F_ck it!":banghead: I had oral surgery today and the novacaine stuff is wore-off and I'm freekin' tired and grouchy :rattle:
Tomorrow is another (long) day...it ain't going anywhere....
'till then,

Back