• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone self-install a Remote Start system?

iBran

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at the Boa 265B remote start/keyless entry system, which seems to be aimed at the do-it-yourselfer. I mean, it's on the shelf at Target, so it can't be THAT complicated, right!? :)

Anyway, I assume that most of these basic remote start systems are pretty similar. Anyone have any tips/hints from their installation process?

I guess I'd consider myself to be a "novice", but I did install the factory overhead console which did involve running a ton of wires all over the place, including through the firewall.

If you consider yourself a novice I really wouldnt try it. It's screwing with a lot of stuff as far as the wiring goes, including the ignition switch. I actually had one put on professionally about a week ago and tonight my Jeep was acting up big time electronic wise. Its worth paying for the professional install just for the warranty factor in my opinion. Great investment though, I love mine, just wouldn't do it myself. Oh by the way I added an OHC too, remote start is much more involved. Again...
Just my .02
-Collin

If you have a GM saginaw steering collumn go on ebay, a guy sales direct fit wiring harnesses that require no hack and whacking of the igntition wires (plug and play) I am seriously considering it but I would def use the harness

Check and see if Boa makes a vehicle specific install harness. I know the Bulldog brand (don't flame me, gift) makes a harness, just plugs into the steering columun. You only have to tap into 3-4 wires vs. the 15+ without.

If you can get a harness I say it would be easy. If not, it will be a PIA.
HTH

I just had one installed but I wouldn't have attempted it myself I had to hang around the shop cause I had no other means of transportation and they showed me pretty much all that they did to keep me amused, and the guys that did it weren't 100 percent sure how it was gonna work out cause they had never done it on my type of car.

Did our 89 one year ago. Frustrating to get the relays wired properly; finally did. Works fine. Wouldn't do it again given the cost of a professional install. Butane soldering iron worked well under dash at steering column.

Brand was UltraStart

Our boss occasionally "gives" a customer a remote start/keyless entry system when they purchace a van from us. We use the Audiovox systems despite the fact that Chrysler offers a plug and play remote start for the Caravan/ Town&Country and this system is only about $10 higher. It usually takes one tech most of the day, because unless you are an Audiovox dealer you get no tech support and have to probe wires for hours. I guess my point is I think it is worth it to have a pro do it and my boss is a total idiot.

Back