• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1" transfer case drop

Dustinyork

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that most transfer case drop kits only drop and inch .. is that the most you shoulddrop them or the best amount ? im going to cut and weld up my own for my xj and just wanted to know before i did . Thanks
Dustin

Most are 3/4", 1", and 1 1/2". But remember a T-case drop is only a temporary fix. Long term use will have it's effects.

What exactly are you welding? All you need to do is drill 2 holes in a 1" piece of square tubing. There is a write up on GoJeep's website. 1" is all you should go due to putting stress on motor mounts and fan issues.

How much are you lifting and what year? I did the 2" budget boost on my 98 and a T-case drop but still had vibes, so I took it off till the SYE and shaft get here.

I have a 1" drop on my rig(custom made) and have found that the life expectancy of my motor mounts has dimished quite a bit. I'm thinking that maybe the the increased angle of the driveline has caused more stress on the mounts. More drop would cause more stress.

If you need more drop than 1" to cure driveline vibes you should be looking at other options or problems. I'm at 7.5" of lift with no SYE. I've eliminated all vibes by tilting up the pinion and dropping the t-case. I'm using the stock driveshaft unchanged except for a YJ slip yoke. Its an '89.

i had steel but no tubing so im welding the pieces together. Thanks for the info guys . ill also look into an sye. The xj is a 90 with around 4 inches of lift now , maybe four and a half. is the yj slip yoke better ?

cowboybarber said:
The older XJ's tend to handle lifting better than the newer s.
Vibe wise that is.
Im curious, simply cause I dont know, but what years from and to are older, and from and to are newer???

Thanks for any help!
Andrew

Back