• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'90 XJ New CPS but won't start

William

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks in advance for all input and help.
Sorry if this seem to be long.
1990 XJ 4.0L 4X4
replaced Crank POS SENSOR, New TPS, IAC appears to rachet just after cranking about 3 to 5 sec.Took the Ign module tomAuto Zone checkeked out OK ,I want to check the Coil next and have tried to find some stuff on this forum but I coundn't seem to make sense of it. Is there a thread or some specs or a test that I can't find here??
Background:
Over the past year or so the jeep has been harder and harder to start replaced the CPS in August or so appeared to be fine.
Middle of DECEMBER---fuel rail needed to have o=ring replaced big fuel leak!!
sooo I replaced the o-rings and the Quick Connects (from the Stealership). started OK, appered to have a slight miss. tried to start it a week later and NO GO Any help would be gratefully recieved.

I have not done a renix no start work around in a while so lets have at it since no one else has chimed in and i have my wiring diagrams and flowcharts handy...

right now do we have fuel pressure @ the regulator and im guessing we have no spark right?

appears to rachet just after cranking about 3 to 5 sec

Please define what you mean by this.

I just went through a no start on a 1990 and it turned out the injectors weren't being "told" to pulse. A reman computer later all was good.

It was difficult to diagnose because I was reading 37 psi pressure at the fuel rail.

It was the Coil:
Old readings
+ primary to Coil ground--Infinity
+ primary to - primary-- 9.5 Ohms
- primary to High Voltage--47,000 Ohms

New Coil readings:
+ primary to Coil ground--Infinity
+ primary to - primary--0.9 Ohms
- primary to High Voltage --69,000 Ohms

Old Man--- I amnot sure if the terminology i am using is correct or not.
It appeared that the IAC was clicking, enough to feel it in my hand when my wife was crancking the engine.
It appeared to turn or at least try to turn around the Pintel(?) or shaft of the IAC Not along the long axis of the shaft. I am not sure what direction is correct.
THANKS TO ALL FOR ALL YOUR HELPFUL COMMENTS.

Back