• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep problems. Over haeting and starting

96Classic

NAXJA Forum User
I have plenty of heat coming through the ducts, but like if I go 75-80 mph, my engine gets to hot. I know there is antifreeze in there.

Also, different problem, when I start my jeep up after it has set for a couple hours it starts fine. But if I drive it for like ten miles and then go to turn it back on, it takes for ever. Any ideas? 2000xj 4.0

:repair:

Definatly sounds like a coolant problem. The 4.0L engine is bad for running too hot. As for what the exact problem is.. and how to fix it? I am having the same problem.

I am looking into getting a lower thermostat, new water pump, and a high performance radiator. In the summer anyways, its still chilly here so it runs fine.

Have you flushed your cooling system any time lately? Check your oil for coolant WCS? Maybe a cloggled radiator? Burp it? Thermostat? Water Pump? For starters. I could be way off because I would never live in cold.

When my jeep used to overheat, well still overheats, it wont want to just start right up when you have been running it to hot, takes a while for a block to cool down even in freezing temps. But it usually cools down within a half hour.

a 3 core for sure before summer. I hate myself for letting it overheat.

I am looking into getting a lower thermostat,

That won't help your engine run any cooler. A search will turn up all you ever wanted to know, but were afraid to ask:wierd: about low temp thermostats.

Back