• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pan clearance w/ downpipe - pics

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I am installing a new stock header into my 95 4.0 HO. There is no clearance between the side of the oil pan and the downpipe. THe header is currently held on by the two nuts on either side of the header and the intake is not installed. Should I be worried about this clearance issue?

DSC03337.jpg

DSC03339.jpg

DSC03338.jpg

Mine is pretty close too, but not that close! Check your motor and transmission mounts to see if they are shot. A bad mount will let the engine sit funny.

i just put in a new drivers motor mount. pass was okay. will this knock a hole in the pan or downpipe?

I just looked...my 4.0L is close too...not as close as yours, but then mine isn't the H.O. By the way, motor mounts shouldn't make any difference since both the header and oil pan are bolted to the engine, they will not shift in relation to each other.

Clearance between the downpipes and the oilpan will be determined solely by the header and the mounting flange. Neither motor or transmission mounts will change the clearance there.

You'll need to get the rest of the fasteners in place before you start to worry. I'd expect the header to swing down against the pan until the top fasteners are in and tight.

Installed pic. All the fasteners are in and tight. Downpipe flange is also tight.

DSC03340.jpg

ChiXJeff said:
Clearance between the downpipes and the oilpan will be determined solely by the header and the mounting flange. Neither motor or transmission mounts will change the clearance there.

You'll need to get the rest of the fasteners in place before you start to worry. I'd expect the header to swing down against the pan until the top fasteners are in and tight.

the down pipe can be bent or the motor can be sitting at an angle both of these will cause the down pipe to hit as well as the x-member mount for the exhause being off.

Back