• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Centrifugal Wheel balancing

STRYKER

NAXJA Forum User
I don't know if and when this has been a topic here (sure it has at one time or another), but I'm having extreme difficulty getting a set of 35 inch tires balanced correctly...

Whether it be the technicians, or the devices they're using, they never get a true zero balance.

I remember that Bill had added BB's to his oversized meats and the immediate results were positive. I never heard more after that, and to beat all , his website was moved!

Mr. Stevens, I'm anxious to see your thoughts on the matter, as well as anyone who's done it and is pleased w/ the results.

My understanding is that 8 oz. is approximately 750 BB's. :eek:

Look up his name,his web address is there!

BenXJCA said:
Have them static balance it with a bubble balancer.

Sorry Ben, but I'm stuck with the BB's. I've HAD it with the unpredictable wheel weights....

First off, they're stick ons (because the wheel is an alloy aluminum "Mag")
And secondly, they come off all the time in the mud around here....which brings us to my third point...

Mud, gravel that sticks in the treads, all seems to be instantly accounted for by the BB's.... thus this thread and a little research in that direction.

go to Pirate4x4.com and search their board. There are half a million posts about bb's and golf balls in tires, even mouse balls.

General consensus is that it works.

Initially the results of 6oz of Equal in my 32x9.5 TSL's were positive...but to be hoinest, now after a month, the things are insanely unbalanced. It's odd...sometimes it's fine, othertimes you'd swear the truck was coming apart. I'm going with BB's.

I have street tires so it's not a huge deal, but man, just driving back from wheeling sunday sucked.

I'm going BB's in my 33" at's because I keep ripping off the traditional ones, and cant stand getting them redone all the time. I bought a harbor freight tire changer at half price, and the bb's are cheap. You get 1500 at sports authority for 3 bucks, or 2500 for 4 bucks. 750 is not a problem when you usually have to pay around 10 bucks for a balanced tire around me. I haven't heard of people using them in small radials like this, but if they work for the big meats, it has to work well with these. _nicko_

Ary is running them in his MTr's 33x11.5 (285/75/16) said the BB's are fine

i havent put them on yet but my dad hooked me up wiyh an item made bycentamatic, its a dust sheild sorta thing with a 3/4 tube around the outside edge that contains some type of shot. he uses them on his big over the road trucks. never has to put a wheel weight on the rim at all. he also stated that he gets better tire wear, and no vibration what so ever. infact they work so well i became a dealer for them. regular car & truck sets cost $ 179.99 for a aset of four..

scot

I believe they are called centramatics. I've heard good things about them, but don't have any direct experience. I run 10 oz. of bb's and they seem alright, but I rarely hit 55 mph (and wouldn't know it if I did). I still have the box of bb's that's only half gone so it's not that many.

C-MuRdaA said:
So, how do you know how many bb's to put in a tire?

I counted them out!
I'm ready to toss the weights and do this....but, I really wanted to hear from the people who have done it.

I searched POR. It seems that this is a great solution to $8 per wheel/per incident balancing.

xjjunkie said:
i havent put them on yet but my dad hooked me up wiyh an item made bycentamatic, its a dust sheild sorta thing with a 3/4 tube around the outside edge that contains some type of shot. he uses them on his big over the road trucks. never has to put a wheel weight on the rim at all. he also stated that he gets better tire wear, and no vibration what so ever. infact they work so well i became a dealer for them. regular car & truck sets cost $ 179.99 for a aset of four..

scot

I've heard about these things, but never can remember what they are called or where to get them. I like the idea better than the BB's because the rings will go on any tire......I'm assuming they go behind the wheel. Are they universal, not interferring with any size wheel?

How could I get a set?

TOZOVR said:
Ary is running them in his MTr's 33x11.5 (285/75/16) said the BB's are fine

I USED to say they were fine. Now that I have aluminum wheels and am using stick-on wheel weights, I can tell the HUGE difference between a wheel weight balanced wheel and a BB balanced wheel. At speed they were fine, but when you slammed on the brakes it wasn't so fun. I was running 8oz of BBs in my 33s. If I was doing this primarily for a wheelin tire I'd do it again, but since I drive on the road with these tires as well, I decided to go back to the conventional wheel weight method. Then again, my wheel/tire combo isn't exactly HUGE, especially since the wheels are 16s. I guess this is neither here nor there, just my .02. HTH

Ary

There is another way to dynamically balance tires. Im not sure exactly what the method is but it involves a strobe light and wheel weights. I saw my teacher use it to balance 38"ers. The guy came back with an ear to ear grin. He said it never ran that smooth.
Just another idea.

ive had good luck getting my 35's balanced at NTB. 14 bucks a tire includes lifetime balancing and rotation. i usually go in every oil change. are you sure your wheels are straight or another problem could be the tires are way out from the get go. black rtv holds stick on weights pretty good. i have to run stick ons up front to clear the TRE's and have no problems.

Hunter

Maybe a good idea would be to get a convential weight balance, but then also have a bit of bb's in there for when you knock one or more off, or just to get the spot the weights missed.

Back