• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door panel removal

PO-Dan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '98 sport I need to remove the front and rear door panels from to get to the speakers (front) and door locks (rear). I see a few screws around handels and such, but what else do you do?

I pulled on the front panel and only made the plastic bend and discolor a little.

HELP!!

Take the screws out that you can see. You don't need to take all of them out, but I can't remember which ones. Its not many anyways. Use a wide thin object and slide it under the enge of the plastic panel. Slide it along until you hit something near the edges of the plastic. They are little pry out clips, if youve taken plastic off something like this you'll know what I mean. Basically do this on the bottom and sides of the panel. Pry all of them loose and the panel is almost ready to come off. The top of the panel kinda hooks down into a groove near the window, it needs to be lifted up. You will only be able to pull the panel out a few inches, it is stopped by the linkages for the door locks and the wiring harness for accessories. Make sure you dont bend the linkages, I know from firsthand experience. They pop off at the panel, once those are off you can pull the wiring and take the panel out of your way. You can change speakers without undoing the linkages, but you have to be careful to not twist or let the panel hang. Bends are bad.

Ryan

The lock and door handle linkages are easy to remove, just pop off the little plastic pieces and pull them out. Just make sure to put them back in right, or you won't be able to open the doors from the inside. That can suck. Trust me.

i know this thread is old but i thought i would just post on it instead of making a new one. I just started trying to remove the door panels on my 92 xj and i cant figure out how you get the manual window cranks off. help me please!

Go to the "HELP!" section of your local auto parts store and buy a window crank removal tool. This same tool also works good for popping the clips that hold the door panel on without tearing them out of the panel.

Back