• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 with a 4.0 won't run right

cmckeon

NAXJA Forum User
my 89 just kinda went clug clug clug and died on me the other day, i have changed the fuel pump, the fuel filter, iac, cps, o2 sensor, and the coil, and a tune up she still won't run right (i can't even move it :-( ) anyone know what could be causing this problem that i am having??????? (i'm about to loose my job because of this)

You need fuel, spark and proper timing to run. Your post doesn't give a clue as to the problem!
1 do you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail (key on)?
2 do you have spark at the dist cap - then at the plugs?
3 check the timing while cranking - should be somewhere near 10 degrees.

Your timing chain may have slipped, its time to check engine vaccum with a vacuum gauge. If you dont hear any knocking from the engine, but your vacuum is poor, and this misfiring appeared suddenly, it could also be a blown head gasket, or a major manifold leak.
But this sounds like its killing all your cylinders at once, like the timing chain slipped out of synch by one tooth. If it takes roughly 10 seconds or more to start, its even more likely that your valve timing is off.

Back