• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new injectors milage dropped

90cherk

NAXJA Forum User
I installed a set of Bosch replacement injectors for my original leaky ones and now my highway milage has dropped from 18-20mpg to 12-14mpg! The engine seems to run fine with plenty of power and the RMP has actually dropped a hair for highway speeds. Sometimes it starts a little rough but quickly smooths out. Nothing else was replaced and the milage was fine beforehand except for the slight loss due to the leaking injectors.

Does something need to be recalibrated with these new injectors which have a four hole spray pattern instead of the original one hole pattern?

how about the year of your jeep and the part # of the new bosch injectors?

Sorry, it's a '90 with 4.0L . Installed the Bosch 19# (P/N 0280150556-D5B )injectors from fiveomotor.

Thanks

Finally closed this out, found out it was a bad injector. The injector was "stuck" open leaking fuel all the time.
Now it's on to the next project to keep her running another 16 years!

I was under the impression these where new injectors ? THey leaked when they were new ?

Also a little on topic what injectors do u use as repalcements for the HO engines ? Fivemotorsports lists the 19# ones but i thought they should be 21# for a 94 HO.

pete

jeepsrock said:
I was under the impression these where new injectors ? THey leaked when they were new ?

Also a little on topic what injectors do u use as repalcements for the HO engines ? Fivemotorsports lists the 19# ones but i thought they should be 21# for a 94 HO.

pete
All you have to do is get just a little dirt in one or a piece of broken o-ring.

90cherk said:
I installed a set of Bosch replacement injectors for my original leaky ones and now my highway milage has dropped from 18-20mpg to 12-14mpg!

So, after repairing the leaky new injector, has your gas milage gone back up to what it was before? I have an 89 MJ 4.0 and am planning to do a similar op.

The injector was a pull-out not brand new. I guess I ended up not saving the $ I thought I would by getting pull-outs :( I haven't run a full tank yet but I expect to be back to normal mpg. The 18-20mpg is freeway driving and I'm not running real agressive treads although I was getting similar mpg when I had BFG A/Ts.

Well 90cherk i hope you get back to atleast your original status.

On a side note, I asked above but no one reposonded. I have a 94 HO and was wondering why fiveomotorsports list them using 19# injectors when in actuality they use 21#. I am thinking about getting replacements but not sure if they are hthe right ones.

Thanks
pete

Back