• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

abs brake question

vegeta

NAXJA Forum User
does anybody here know if the factory gas boost will work without the abs computer? I've got a 90 model that was flooded and the abs computer had water pouring out of it when it was removed. I don't know much about these types of brake systems but I do have a stock 86 booster and mc I can reaplace them with. I know that the 86 system isn't the best but it's free so the price is hard to beat. I'd appreciate any help. I did a search but didn't really find anything that answered my questions.

The Bendix 9 ABS system found in XJ's from '89-'91 can be driven without the ABS computer being powered, or for that matter even being installed.

I removed my computer from under the back seat, removed all the ABS sensors and then pulled the fuse from the ABS BATT position. The pump on the PS side must still operate as it provides the pressure that a vacuum booster normally provides so don't remove the other ABS fuse.

The NHTSA has a lifetime recall on this system and many components are covered for life...primarily the expensive stuff.

Let me know if you need to know more.

Mine went into the dealer in July of 2004 to have the actuator (master cylinder assembly) replaced under the recall. It was the second time...first being done around 120k miles, the second around 240k miles.

The primary accumulator, the black ball next to the actuator, is a regular maintenance item and will run from $60-80 depending on how bad the dealer gets you in the wallet. The symptoms for it being bad are generally the same as the actuator assembly. The pump motor is supposed to run every 5-6 brake applications. You'll find that the system will not be able to hold pressure and the pump will cycle more often. When this happens, the pump has a tendency to fail.

When these symptoms begin you want to make sure the system is checked. If the accumulator is OK then it's likely the actuator and that's a recall part that wll be replaced for free, parts and labor.

The pump will not likely go out unless it's running almost constantly, in which case it could fail. My understanding is that it is also under the lifetime recall.

I've thought about converting my system but it finally works right after the work done in 2004. I don't have ABS as that has been removed but the brakes themselves work pretty well. I recently added rear discs to my axle and the balance even seems OK there so no need for a proportioning valve.

When I finally made the decision to remove the ABS function entirely I also pulled the dash bezel and the left side indicator light cluster and removed the CHECK ABS light bulb as it was on all the time.

About 24 months after removing the ABS and 18 months after doing the recall work, all is good.

did you also remove the abs vavle assembly or just the computer,batt fuse and bulb? If there is a lifetime recall on this system how much crap did the dealer give you over replacing parts under this warrenty? I bought this jeep a few weeks ago but I'm having the engine rebuilt as it was locked up from sittng for over a year. before it was flooded it was driven daily and had no problems ,brake or otherwise.

Just the computer, the fuse and the indicator light. When I swapped axles I removed the tone rings and sensors and their associated wiring.

The dealer will likely need to be reminded since it's been 14 model years since the system was used in production. There is plenty available on the web through NHTSA or AllData.com.

My experience was actually more of a horror story since the dealer, Milam Jeep in Puyallup, WA, took 23 days to fix the rig and wouldn't give it back to me as it was a safety issue. They gave me a loaner car but losing your wheeling rig in the middle of the summer has its pain. They kept it so long because they couldn't locate the parts. They later realized, and admitted, they had them all along.

If the recall was done previously the campaign number might change. That's an internal issue that shouldn't slow down the actual repairs if they're needed.

Call the local dealer and speak to the service advisor. Give them your VIN and have them run it to see if the work has ever been done.

Thanks for you help man, I really appreciate it. I'll give the dealer a call monday and see what they say. I'll also look a little closer at the system today and see if there are ane any stickers or notes about the parts themselves. Maybe the previous owners wrote something i the owners manual.

Happy to help.

It was a crappy brake system and anyone who has one generally gets frustrated by it.

Let me know if you need anything else. I've pretty much done it all on this thing.

I agree with John. I yanked all of mine and replaced it with a booster and MC out of a 97. (see madxj.com) I have all the parts around yet if you want some for back up. Mine quit due to a worn out flexible line on the front. If I were going to keep this thing a long time (it's due for replacement in a year) I'd put rear discs on it. It stops lots better now than it ever did with ABS!!

Back