• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much trim

RE 4.5" lift and 33s (still have to finish the rear), plenty of room for 35s and more bumpstop:

P1010123.jpg

i have a a 6" lift with 33's. it trimmed the front where the sheetmetal starts to bend and fold for the fender and in the back i made the relief cuts and folds in the same place at the fold. i can fully flex 33's with no bumpstops. yeah you could fit 35's but wont be able nto flex very well.

Shomsky462 said:
i can fully flex 33's with no bumpstops. yeah you could fit 35's but wont be able nto flex very well.

Thats not right at all, not using bumpstops does not equal better flex. You should add bumpstop and run 35s, you'd flex just the same just less uptravel and more downtravel. Every rig should be properly bumpstopped, if you're running none and 33s and can flex as much as you feel you need to then that tells me you can easily run 35s.

ZachMan said:
Thats not right at all, not using bumpstops does not equal better flex. You should add bumpstop and run 35s, you'd flex just the same just less uptravel and more downtravel. Every rig should be properly bumpstopped, if you're running none and 33s and can flex as much as you feel you need to then that tells me you can easily run 35s.
yeah i guess that would make sense. i had never heard of that before no one really talks about that kinda stuff thanks. I was runnin 31 bfg's then i traded them in for 33 procomp mud. the width on the fenders i have cut right now are just right for 33's in the back and even better in the front. its not the fron tim worried about its the back. if i go 35's the rear tires will hit the sides/bottom of the fender/quarterpanel and i dont want to bumpstop it too much cause wouldnt that cause you to roll more? i understand that your downtravel is a lot more but that doesnt matter when your tire is on top of a rock and your xj is tipping.

sawhead said:
how do you remove the end cap bracket on the rear of the fender...just drill out the rivets???

Yep, drill or grind the heads off. I used pre 97 bumper end caps and some quarter panel guards to complete the look, like this:

100_0393.jpg

now with these guards

100_0504.jpg

GottaBeJeep- Hey, are those RockLizardFabrications' Gila guards? That place has the coolest stuff!! Anyways, I use my XJ for work and play (so I can't go too extreme.. yet), but i've got the 4.5 RE kit with just 32s. I did put in the front bumpstop, but did not mess with the rears. As of yet, I have only slightly tweaked the rear panel with the wheel. I'm not sure how some of you guys can fit those bigger tires with just 4.5".... maybe a few of you have done a bit of custom work. As far as I'm concerned, I like having the wee 32s, with some trimming work similar to GBJ's, I don't have any issues when it comes to flexing and stuffing. ( Ok, I have rubbed a little here and there, but I can't imagine the rubbing you get with 35"s)

sawhead said:
how do you remove the end cap bracket on the rear of the fender...just drill out the rivets???

Or just grind off the head with the cutting wheel your using to trim the fenders with.
P9040015.jpg

Then save the bumper ends from a 97 or newer and cut to fit the new shape that you need:
P4260007.jpg

Back