• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

too run a 32 inch tire on my XJ...

Dustinyork

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 cherokee limited that i bought recently behind a dealership for $800 (trade in ) and decided i wanted to do a mild lift . I ordered a rough country kit that includes :
3" Coil Springs
1-pair of long add-a-leafs
1-pair of Lower Control Arms
4-Nitro 9000 Shocks
1-Front Sway Bar Relocation Bracket

I was told the largest tire i can run with this set up is a 31x10.50 , however my friend has a set of 32X11.50 bridgestone dueler m/t that he will sell me cheap . im going to run a 15x8 rim with 4 inches of backspacing on the jeep and was wondering what i would have to do to make up for the exra tire height . i was thinking of 1 inch coil spacers and lift shackles , but if im going to need to change alot of things for an extra inch of tire ill just stick to a 31 as im on a budget . I dont really want to trim my fenders or have to buy a drop pitman arm and longer brake lines for an inch . Thank you . Dustin

If you haven't done so already, search. This topic comes up at least three times a week. Just run that and put the 32s on and bumpstop. you'll probably find the extra inch or so is really not worth the extra cost when you can trim your fenders for free. You might not like the power your engine will have with 32's and stock gears either. Might also need a track bar or some sort of relocation bracket as well, even with the 3".

Welcome to NAXJA. The first thing you probably need to learn to do is to use the search feature. You can find more than enough information on almost any topic.

To answer your question, you can fit 32s. You will probably need to trim to keep from rubbing.

EDIT: Ha, woody beat me to it.

if you dont wheel too much, and limiting your travel doesn't bother you just get some bump stops. if you want all the travel you can get, you are going to have to trim your fenders. even with 31's you still have to trim a little to get the wheel to turn lock to lock. good luck.

ive searched for a while but mostly i found people wanted to run 33s .i just want to run 32s and have it work. im not against trimming the fenders an inch if i can make it look good , but thats up in the air and id like to keep the flares.i was hoping to get away with the extra inch without trimming and maybe find the easy extra inch solution.(funny i hear my girlfriend is looking for the same thing) . the gears are factory 355s dana 35 rear.is anyone running 32s with a three inch lift here now ? would the extra inch run into the realm of extended brake ines or drop pitman arms? Thanks

after reading your last post, you will want to plan stuff out more before you keep buying lift parts and tires. 32's with stock 3.55 really does suck. gas mileage in town is horrible, and isn't too great on freeway because it keeps shifting from 4th to 3rd. if you can afford gears soon too then do it. if you dont see gears in the near future i would stick with 30's or 31's. im running the RE3.5 inch lift, with 32 inch BFG MT's and 4.56 gears, but i trimmed quite a bit to make it work.

This is my buddy's jeep that i did a trim job on those are close to bald 31's (read: 29-30) and a VERY old and saggy 3 inch lift. The front clear fine and that flex is on stock bumpstops, theres prob room to clear another inch on those tires
mattjeep.jpg

I'm running 32's on my 3" lift on my 91, very much the same thing as what you are trying to do. I just posted my results here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71819

I've just finished with all the trimming; I kept my stock flares and just bent the fender lip and body seams inboard for the most part.

My main suggestion if you don't want to trim too much is to get those 15x8 wheels with 4.75" backspacing instead of 4". I just bought mine from Summit Racing for $40 each, with free shipping. You will have to trim a lot more to clear the tires with 4" backspacing. I used 4.75" with my 32x11.50's, and they tuck inside the rear fenderwells with 1/4" to spare; any closer and I wouldn't be able to keep the stock flares like I have, and the body seam on the rear would have to be pounded flat all the way around.

I haven't written a post about the trimming I did yet, but here are a couple pictures:
Img_2334.jpg

Img_2337.jpg

Img_2335.jpg

Img_2389.jpg

I was planning to run a 31 on this truck but when he offered me his near new 32s for $125 i thought i would look into it , i do like the look of a right sized tire and lift combination , and run mostly in the mud and trails here so flex wouldnt be a huge issue with the jeep , although i dont want to be gougeing the tires and rubbing on everything else also. do you think the extra inch of tire is worth the trouble ? any other ideas? Thanks guys

for that money (depending on what tire) i'd try and make them work. But i am a cheapskate, and then i always want bigger tires.

for $125, if they have reasonable tread i would get it, bump stop or trim, and use the rest of the money you would have spent on new tires and put it towards new gears. i drove on my 32's with stock gearing for about a month before switching. its doable as long as you plan on switching it out eventually. the tranny definately runs hotter and gets really hot when going up long steep grades. give those tires a shot, see if you can make them work with minimal trimming to allow them to turn, and bump stop, and see what happens. worst comes to worst you can always take the tires off and sell them again.

Adding more lift is going to cost you a lot more than what your budget appears to be. You don't have to worry about the drop pitman arm at all, so just forget about that piece, but at 3", you really should do something about your brakelines. It is too cheap to make them longer to take any chances on safety. You can relocate the front hardlines to get several inches more on the brakelines, so search for relocating front brakelines. You could also do YJ wrangler front brakelines for about $12-15 each (need two) and gain 3-4" over stock. For the rear, I highly recommend just spending $12-15 on a YJ wrangler rear brakeline. Why take the chance of overextending and popping a brakeline for that little money. Also, search for fender trimming and adjusting bumpstops. If you are wanting to keep the factory flares, there is plenty of info on how to trim and keep them. If you want them completely gone and still look good, then check out my tech articles. I have an article on fender trimming and on adjusting bumpstops: www.rocklizardfabrications.com

If you are on a budget, then $125 for 32's is pretty dang good, so make them work. I don't know why they include only one front swaybar bracket in the RC kit. I would believe it if it was one trackbar relocation bracket, which if it is the trackbar relocation bracket, throw that thing in the trash so you don't kill anyone. Good luck.

is it not a good idea too relocate the track bar ? . i can get the 15x8 with 4 inches of backspacing from summit for 33.95 a piece ( they price matched quadratec) and ive just sold my centerforce clutch from my big block chevelle for 130$ so i pretty much get free rims yay! ( if we dont include the 300 dollar original purchase of the clutch lol ) i wanted to run these rims so the tires would be at the edge of the flair and i wouldnt have to worry about pushing the limits of the tire sticking out . would there be any negative efects to reunning more backspacing ? maybe 5 inches like suggested in an above post .maybe after i buy the rims i can mount one tire and do some measureing. also i do mostly mud and trails here in Norhern new York and was wondering if sway arm disconnects are worth it for my application ?

i would be hard pressed to pay 125 buck for 32 inch used tires if i was on a budget. if you look and are pinchy with the wallet you could get a decent set of mud terrain tires for a hundred or less from discount or tire nations etc. all you have to do is just look. alot of times you can get them to mount and balance the tires for 20 -25 bucks tire included. remember that the 125 buck is probably not including mouting and balancing

any negative effects with adding extra backspacing on the rims ? 5 inches ? i think i can talk him down to a hundred on the tires with out a problem , he just bought new 33s . ill mount an balance them at work so i dont have to worry about the cost of that . Thanks

Kind of depends where you are but $125 for used from a shop isn't going to get you much in many places. Though I just bought a set of 32 TSL for $80 but that was off a fellow local wheeler.

yah i couldnt find any real deals around here at the tire shops and i figured for what they are and where they were i couldnt do much better .can anyone help me with the track bar and backspaing question ? im going to try to know what to watch out for before hand Thanks

Dustin

Back