• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using NP 231 in 4WD in heavy water, dama`?

8991XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Using NP 231 in 4WD in heavy water, damage?

So when the standing water on the road surface is more than 1/4 inch, I sometimes put my 231 in 4WD (high). I know the 231 is a Part Time 4WD system. Other then sharp turns and the front end complaining what problems will this cause? Go ahead, flame suit on, cause I want the full answer. Thanks.

Re: Using NP 231 in 4WD in heavy water, damage?

1/4" of water

you wont have any problems, why do you put it 4 wd anyway?

8991XJ said:
So when the standing water on the road surface is more than 1/4 inch, I sometimes put my 231 in 4WD (high). .

Not me....

I take my foot of the damn gas pedal....

And hold on tight unless I can avoid it.

When you hydroplane....4wd isn't gonna help.

Its like the guys doing 60 mph in the snow in their Tahoes' because they think they're invincible.

Then you see them in a ditch a few miles up the road, and have to maintain control while your driving and laughing your ass off at the same time.

Part time 231? I believe it is the 242 that is part time.

Also, as said above 4wd will do nothing while hydroplaning, so you might want to just slow down when it gets wet (or snowy).

Seriously, do you want to be the yuppie in the ditch cause you thought 4wd would help you in bad road conditions?

LazarusMJ said:
Seriously, do you want to be the yuppie in the ditch cause you thought 4wd would help you in bad road conditions?

good point. BUT they usually have cash in their pocket and will cough it up to get out...;)

LazarusMJ said:
Part time 231? I believe it is the 242 that is part time.

Nope.

231 part time, 242 full time.

I agree no need to use it in water on paved road. Water on a gravel, dirt, sand, or snow road...then yes.

Rev

I like the added traction when using the gas as my XJ has an open rear diff. I understand all this stuff about slowing down for bad weather and all, but when turning right uphill I don't like the inside wheel spin. The Jeep just 'goes' better in 4WD when there is plenty of rain coming down. So we're not looking to set land speed records in the wet or hydroplane, just have better drivability.

8991XJ said:
but when turning right uphill I don't like the inside wheel spin. .

where are you doing that sharp of a turn at speed? good tires make a world of difference. or at least use less skinny-pedal. 4WD on wet pavement can still cause problems. it is not unheard of for the aluminum housing to break in half after too much good traction.

8991XJ said:
So when the standing water on the road surface is more than 1/4 inch, I sometimes put my 231 in 4WD (high).

Okay. Just to get this out of the way: a quarter-inch of water is *not* "heavy" water by a long shot.

I know the 231 is a Part Time 4WD system. Other then sharp turns and the front end complaining what problems will this cause?

Well, apart from what you've already mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems. I used to run the 231 in my previous XJ in the wet for control under straight-line take-offs without any issue. What the Command-Trac cases don't like (based on my experience), though, are surface changes: no traction to traction back to no traction (snow to pavement to snow), for example, are not things it's keen on.

I used to use my 231 in the rain on surface streets for straight-line takeoffs. As long as I could anticipate a turn and shift into 2HI before I was driving straight, it was fine. Having said that, I'd also run it at up to 70mph on the freeway where turns weren't as acute.

YMMV, and it's not as flexible as a 242, but as long as you don't abuse it 4PT can be used in situations that are technically not recommended. Don't push it, keep to the usual warnings, and you'll be OK.

FWIW, I use 4FT when it rains. Call me a p****, but I'd rather have the extra control than lose it. Same applies to 231 t-cases in 4PT, just with different usage.

Not quite the subject but I think DC created alot of confusion with the use of the phrases "Part time" and "Full Time." For many who don't fully read directions, one could just as easily assume that "Part Time" means that you can use the T-Case all of the time because it is only activated part of the time under certain slippery conditions vs. that you should only use the t-case part of the time. The reverse is true for "Full Time 4WD".... that it is activated all of the time so you should use it only in certain conditions.

Personally I have the 231 and know that I can only use it in snow and slippery conditions. All that being said, I always go back and forth in my head which "Time" my 231 is called. Dyslexic are not I.

The bottom line is that if there is enough traction that your tires aren't slipping then you shouldn't have it in 4-PT. If there's enough water (snow, loose gravel, whatever) to create some tire slippage then 4-PT is fine.

What problems happen if you have it in 4-PT when there is no tire slippage? Binding within the drivetrain. If the binding gets bad enough you can damage the transfer case, break u-joints, or any number of other problems--bottom line, again, is that the binding will be relieved by the weakest link in the drivetrain breaking.

If you want to run it like that, you need to have a 242 and run it in full time. Just saw a 231 in a buddy's shop, the owner ran it in part time in the rain at highway speeds - after about a year the chain was stretched and had to be replaced.

casm said:
Okay. Just to get this out of the way: a quarter-inch of water is *not* "heavy" water by a long shot.

I think this is the least of his problems. He needs to stop driving near the reactor that is leaking the "heavy water" in the first place.

8991XJ said:
I like the added traction when using the gas as my XJ has an open rear diff. I understand all this stuff about slowing down for bad weather and all, but when turning right uphill I don't like the inside wheel spin. The Jeep just 'goes' better in 4WD when there is plenty of rain coming down. So we're not looking to set land speed records in the wet or hydroplane, just have better drivability.
The purpòse of the full-time position in the 242 transfer case is to allow use in conditions such as rain. Using the 231 on wet pavement isn't a good idea. If you don't like spinning the inside tire, use less pressure on the skinny peddle.

Lots of good information. Maybe it is crappy tires, I have used up a set of Dunlop Radial Rover A/Ts and am now using Yokohama Geolander O51. For the right turn wheel spin, I'm talking about being at a stop and starting off uphill right turn with correct application of the loud pedal for a normal takeoff, not a racing start. Still more than the slick roads will allow indicating some forgivenss in using the 4WD setting.

I know that 1/4" of standing water and the heavier rains necessary to keep this level on the streets is not a lot of water, but I was saying there is probably enough water on the road to avoid finding any dry pavement that will not let the tires squirm free in a binding situation in the drivetrain if that is what would happen instead of the binding being relieved by some chunk of the drivetrain breaking or bending.

The talk about the chain stretch, the avoidance of alternating traction-slippery condition-traction situations helps me determine if I want to use 4WD in the rain. It appears there is a definite 'cost' associated with using a 231 on wet, slick pavement and determining how 'expensive' these costs are is helpful.

I have pulled my 231 back in 4-high on occation when I need to make a quick jolt accross, or out into traffic when its rainey. It dosn't seem to complain, but I don't leave it there. I put it back in to 2-high once I get accross, or out.

I only use 4Hi on wet roads if I want to embarrass a ricer at a stoplight. ;)

as others have stated, 4Hi + roads = bad! only use it on wet roads if you are stopped and need the traction to get moving again. same thing with ice, unless the ice is coating the entire road (just drive safe and slow, you'll be fine.)

FWIW, my stock tires (Goodyear Wrangler RT/S) were downright horrible in the rain. I switched to Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, and haven't had any problems. I have to floor it to get the tires to spin on wet roads in 2Hi. Sure, they're more expensive than the POS RT/S tires, but sure is cheaper than replacing a bumper or quarter panel because you spun out in a turn.

Back