• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exo cae v/ iterior tachng

VegasAnthony

NAXJA Forum User
exo cage w/ interior bracing

So after about 4 hrs of looking at threads and pics ..I think that an exo cage would be nice bu tfrom what Ive read they are way better with some sort of internal cage ..so the idea is to have a cage but to leave the drivers area open for entry and movement ..and to pu the B pillar in side so I dont lose and fundtionality of the rear doors ..
so I want to use this idea of an exo

000_0016_small.jpeg

but tie it into a internal ..but heres the idea
I wan tto start the internal behind the front seat and extend it back to the cargo area....thats my thought ..kinda like this
(sorry about the crude drawing)

int.JPG

Im wondering if Ihave to extend it back or could I just end it behind the rear seat??
I plan to tie them together through the roof with sandwich type plates
and tie them into the front bumper and rear bumpers and the rock rails..

thoughts???

Re: exo cage w/ interior bracing

keep looking, theres a tan jeep on here somewhere that has a full internal/external cage

formatt said:
i can't imagine how much that thing must weigh, with both an internal and exo cage... that's a lot of steel.

Are you refering to his drawing or that rig? The rig doesnt look to have a internal cage in the front if it has any internal at all. So that rig shouldn't be all that much heavier.

ROBERTK said:
Are you refering to his drawing or that rig? The rig doesnt look to have a internal cage in the front if it has any internal at all. So that rig shouldn't be all that much heavier.

I think he was referring to the rig tealcherokee said to search for

I have a question though.. IN this picture the exo has a down tube between the front and rear side doors. Does this block the rear door from opening?

I been thinking of doning that same thing but worried that it would block the rear door. I have held up a piece of 1.75" tube there and it looks liek it would have to be about 2-3" away from the door skin to allow it to work?

http://xjdb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=xjs&id=new_54500SHbBvT_ph201&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.phphttp://www.xjdb.com/albums/xjs/new_54500SHbBvT_ph201.jpg

ROBERTK said:
I have a question though.. IN this picture the exo has a down tube between the front and rear side doors. Does this block the rear door from opening?

]

basically that waht Im trying to acomplish
most properly set up exo cages only let you open the rear about 90% of the way

perhaps using the 1st exo cage I posted and then installing a B pillar on the interior and connect it through the roof into the halo
somethin like this B pillar
back1a.JPG

There has been talk that an exo won't hold up as well as an internal cage because there isn't any cross bracing. This might be true in an 80 mph crash, but there is little merit to the argument regarding a typical off roading rollover. There are examples of exo's surviving some pretty good rollovers.

My thoughts on Anthony's question would be to build the exo how you wanted, and then run B pillar down bars through the roof to the floor on the inside. You could tie the down bars to the shoulder harness bolts on the B pillar to help the rigidity.

After plenty of discussions around here about cages, and plenty of examples of cages being built, here's my idea of the ideal XJ cage. It would have a roof hoop like CRASH and Gary E have with B, C, and D pillars running through the roof to the floor on the inside. Then external A pillar bars running through the top of the fender and down to the frame, with bars running forward under the fender to the bumper, like I have. This would give the best combination of external roll protection without the gawdiness of a full exo cage, ease of entry and dash access with no internal A pillar hoop, and good rigidity by tying the whole thing together from the D pillar to the front bumper.

VegasAnthony said:
basically that waht Im trying to acomplish
most properly set up exo cages only let you open the rear about 90% of the way

perhaps using the 1st exo cage I posted and then installing a B pillar on the interior and connect it through the roof into the halo
somethin like this B pillar
back1a.JPG

That's the D&C cage. I just got that in my XJ. It's a good start, but it would be a lot better to tie it into a sleeved sub frame at each of the floor attachment points, that and a decent roof cage. At that point, you pretty much have a frame.

Goatman said:
After plenty of discussions around here about cages, and plenty of examples of cages being built, here's my idea of the ideal XJ cage. It would have a roof hoop like CRASH and Gary E have with B, C, and D pillars running through the roof to the floor on the inside. Then external A pillar bars running through the top of the fender and down to the frame, with bars running forward under the fender to the bumper, like I have. This would give the best combination of external roll protection without the gawdiness of a full exo cage, ease of entry and dash access with no internal A pillar hoop, and good rigidity by tying the whole thing together from the D pillar to the front bumper.

sounds perfect, and I would definitely go with the roof sliders that Gary E has. with that setup a flop or single slow roll would really only require replacing doors, rear glass, and front fenders at worst.

BrettM said:
sounds perfect, and I would definitely go with the roof sliders that Gary E has. with that setup a flop or single slow roll would really only require replacing doors, rear glass, and front fenders at worst.

Yeah, if you can keep the roof from being damaged, the doors, fenders and glass are pretty easy to repair.

Goatman said:
Yeah, if you can keep the roof from being damaged, the doors, fenders and glass are pretty easy to repair.

yea but if this cage would stand up to a slow roll
000_0016_small.jpeg

you could save the fenders and rear glass ..in theory
so now Im back to a full exo:)

Back