• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator to top

XgeekstarX

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know of a write up on how to do this? i searched around and got a little bit of info, but couldn't find a write up on it. i'm tired of drowning mine and i never use the a/c. any help would be greatly appreciated.

92 4.0L

I have wanted to do the same. The mud-dragger location of the alternator at the bottom of the belt drives is made worse when the splash guard is removed (on purpose or by trail obstacles.) Feeding the alternator a steady diet of mud will exercise the lifetime warranty you thoughtfully bought replacing the last one.

The '96 up seem to have cured the problem - the alternator is topside where the '90 has the A/C compressor - which is moved under the p/s pump. This looks like it requires a complete accy mount changeover, new a/c hoses, and a different alternator as the bolt up is different on the late model alt (not being a CS130.) This would seem to be the most efficient way to go because parts are readily available for the salvage yard, the serpentine belt remains stock (a '96 up) and everything bolts on - no trying to find non-exisiting applications from the V-8 hot rod industry.

If anyone knows of a interference issue because of HO vs non-HO, please speak up; most write ups concentrate on head/block issues, and don't mention any mount problems.

TiRod said:
I have wanted to do the same. The mud-dragger location of the alternator at the bottom of the belt drives is made worse when the splash guard is removed (on purpose or by trail obstacles.) Feeding the alternator a steady diet of mud will exercise the lifetime warranty you thoughtfully bought replacing the last one.

The '96 up seem to have cured the problem - the alternator is topside where the '90 has the A/C compressor - which is moved under the p/s pump. This looks like it requires a complete accy mount changeover, new a/c hoses, and a different alternator as the bolt up is different on the late model alt (not being a CS130.) This would seem to be the most efficient way to go because parts are readily available for the salvage yard, the serpentine belt remains stock (a '96 up) and everything bolts on - no trying to find non-exisiting applications from the V-8 hot rod industry.

If anyone knows of a interference issue because of HO vs non-HO, please speak up; most write ups concentrate on head/block issues, and don't mention any mount problems.

i'm fine with ditching the a/c, i just hate having to crawl under there every time i drive through a little water or mud to replace the friggin thing.

Ditch the A/C and use a Alt bracket from a 2.5L comanche. You will have to make a simple bracket for the bottom mount and measure for a new belt. I also don't have the fan pulley anymore so mine '90 is a bit different.
AlternatormodDSC01558Small.jpg

DSC01556Small.jpg

MachineMan said:
Ditch the A/C and use a Alt bracket from a 2.5L comanche. You will have to make a simple bracket for the bottom mount and measure for a new belt. I also don't have the fan pulley anymore so mine '90 is a bit different.
AlternatormodDSC01558Small.jpg

DSC01556Small.jpg

I'd like some more info on what you did here please...possibly a bottom pic?

So the belt from the alt runs down to the crank pulley directly?....so 2.5 liter manches have the alt mounted on top from the factory?I wonder if the 2.5 cherokee has the same bracket?

What kind of elec. fans are those and how many cfm do they pull.....or ummm push?

Thanks

Last edited:
Go to the junk yard and browse the cherokee / manches and see if anything looks like it would work. There actually might be a bolt in (no modified bracketry) out there somewhere if you can find a 2.5L with no A/C. The A/C and Alt engine block bolt patterns are the same for 2.5L and 4.0L.

The 2.5L manches have the Alt up at the top or just under the A/C from the factory.

Those fans are Derale, total pull at 4000cfm. I would not recommend this fan set-up becuase it barely fits even with all the plastic trimming I had to do on the fan case/shroud. Also they pull a lot of amps. You'd be better off adding a single electric keeping the other stock electric or getting a smaller dual or triple combo.

sorry to bring an old thread back, but i have a few questions as i just killed my alternator. Is it possible to use an older style alternator if i change the plug connector or is wired completely differently so that this would not be possible. And also is it possible to mount the ac compressor at the bottom, where the alternator used to be. Thanks for any help

scott

It's wired differently. The 1990 and back alternators were internally-regulated Delco units (either a Delco SI for 1986-back, and Delco CS for 1987-1990.)

The 1991-up use a Nippondenso alternator, which is externally regulated by the PCM. It is possible to add a second alternator with either an internal or an external regulator, or to supply another regulator (NOT in the PCM!) to the later units - although this latter throws a persistent code, since the regulator doesn't talk to the PCM (I always thought this was a bad idea...) It may cause trouble for you if you have to deal with the Smog Nazis.

I'm kicking around ideas for making an adapter bracket for the SD-505 mount to either the Delco or the ND alternator - or maybe both - using a 'standard' base and an upper half for both alternators. Haven't gotten around to it yet - got a few other things to do first.

Why? How long is the 2.46L MJ bracket going to be available? Federal laws sez dealers have to keep parts in stock for 10 years after the model year - and the MJ was axed in 1992 (although Gawd knows why - it was better than the S-10 as a work truck, and MILES better than that damn Ford Ranger! Only thing I can see is that ChryCo would have had it competing with the D50/Ramcharger, but they're making money either way!)

Besides, I've been asked about mounting second alternators - and I've been thinking about doing something like that myself. Maybe I'd even make an idler pully and bracket kit for simplifying belt routing - but I haven't gotten that far just yet...

5-90

your from florida and you don't use your a/c? damn..... since i got my a/c working about 6 months ago, it's been getting a workout. i have it on almost all the time.

Take a look at the 02 or 03+ TJ's, they moved the A/C to under the PS pump and moved the alt up top, still leaving room for an OBA compressor where our standard A/C compressor goes.

Back