• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taking the steering column apart on a 98 XJ

kg45777

NAXJA Forum User
My 98 XJ got stolen from my apartment and now I am trying to take the column apart and replace the busted pieces. I have it all taken apart including having the wheel off, but there is a ring around the column that also contains the key lock cylinder and I have NO IDEA how to get it off...if anyone has any ideas I would REALLY appreciate it!

kg45777 said:
My 98 XJ got stolen from my apartment and now I am trying to take the column apart and replace the busted pieces. I have it all taken apart including having the wheel off, but there is a ring around the column that also contains the key lock cylinder and I have NO IDEA how to get it off...if anyone has any ideas I would REALLY appreciate it!
IIRC to take appart mine I took the shroud off by pulling it out and over which then exposed the key cylinder. Once you get the shround off you should be able to figure things out.

There are three screws underneath the plastic cover that need to be removed before you can really do anything. The cover is a two piece design and a royal pain to remove, especially if you still have the dashboard intact. Be careful around the tilt wheel lever, or you might crack the plastic. Almost happened to me a few times.

Do you have any pics? I had my whole column out and apart when I redid my Jeep, and everything was pretty straightforward. Seeing it again might refresh my memory.

kg45777 said:

Had the same thing happen once, I replaced the entire column.
I am not sure I know what you are talking about, but, I messed with a 98 column once and I think that the casting around the lock cylinder is part of the bearing housing and not removable. I seem to remember that to remove the cylinder, you have to have the key in, turn it to on and push a button that will release the whole thing.
This means that you dont want to buy the column without its key, if you decide to go that direction.
Not exactly what you asked for, hope it helps.

All of that input is really helpful! I found out for sure at the stealership that I am going to need to get a whole new column so I just took the whole thing out tonight(pretty straightforward like you guys said) Now the search is on for another column. Does anyone have any pointers besides make sure it has the key with it?? Thanks again guys!

kg45777 said:
All of that input is really helpful! I found out for sure at the stealership that I am going to need to get a whole new column so I just took the whole thing out tonight(pretty straightforward like you guys said) Now the search is on for another column. Does anyone have any pointers besides make sure it has the key with it?? Thanks again guys!

If you have cruise and you decide to get one from salvage, make sure it is a 98.
A 99+ looks identical but the switches don't have the same resistance values.

Back