• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 4.0 to a newer engine swap

89laradosport

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj with a 4.0 and it has 240k on it , its time for a new engine. i want to swap to a newer much lower mileage HO engine. i want to have it professionaly done so there is a waranty. they tell me it cannot be done. or it can be done with my old intake and distributor. I want to have the newer HO engine AND the HO intake manifold instaled into my jeep. i also do not want the breather problems. what all needs to be done? or is the combination of the high output and the old intake a good matchup?

ok so that answered my first few questions.. what about the breather problems... can i use a wrangler engine as i recall they do not have the same breather problems.. or does the HO not even have the same breather hoses? is useing the HO motor with the old intake give it more or less power?

I put a 97 engine in my 90. All I did was swap the intake and exhaust manifolds over and dropped it in. If I remember I had to get the knock sensor to work with the new engine. It can be done

chris

I used the newer intake & air box so all the hoses matched up. I eliminated the EGR and passed smog in Ohio last month.

The HO intake gives you much more power, how much exactly I canbnot tell you. But, I know it is enough power to turn 33x12.5's fine with stock gears when I planned on regearing with my old non-HO motor.

I believe a wrangler engine uses a different water pump routing, but just swap your XJ pump on and you're good to go I think.

Make sure you replace all the electronics & sensors on the new engine with the renix components and it'll work fine. (flywheel, cps, distributor, coil, etc, etc.) You'll also need the HO tranny kickdown cable & accel cable.

Upgrading to an open cooling system at this time is also a good idea.

Back