• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap shock extenders

Ludakris

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have a few ideas of my own, but thought I would see what others have done. I have 4.5" springs on my rig and 3.5" lift shocks... so I was looking for a cheap/easy lower mount extension.... w/o welding would be nice.. but if it comes down to it, I will mount some channel to bolt thru....
so.. any easy ideas?

Something like this?

stm_main.jpg

For the front you can get a coupler (extra long nut) and a stud. Threads right down on top and there you go longer shock. I did this before I had the cash for longer shocks.

I know that you said without welding would be nice.. but.. I am running stock shocks in my rear with a 4.5 inch spring pack.. I simply welded a bolt to the axle tube, cut the mount off, and you have a really cheep way of extending ur shocks plus you have the added ground clearance typically absorbed by the stock lower mounts. just my .02

The ones pictured are from www.detoursusa.com He is in CT. Quality stuff.

His coolest product is his "Backbone Bumper System" for the XJ. (At least it is in my opinion)

Could something like this be used so that you can get a bolt/nut on the back of the shock mounting with less fear of breaking a bolt off in the body? Or would that be a bad application of these extenders? Neveremind i read a bit more on the site and found you could use them that way if you wish.

Last edited:
Dont mean to Hi-Jack the thead, but my thanks to TRAILBST on the Detourusa Backbone bumper system recommendation. Real cool.

i asked mark the same question a month ago and this is what he said

Hehee....I feel your pain, but Im sorry....they do not
work up front.
If you look long & hard enough in here, you find atleast 1 thread about thread extentions.......This is a very bad and dangerous method of extending a shock, besides that....it just bends and damages the upper mounting area......(front)
Wish I had something for yea......

Mark/Detour

Not on a Jeep but I have made wooden spacers with the bolts going all the way from the shock to the frame. Use hard wood. Cut down fender washer between shock and wood. My spacers lasted over 2 years.

LoneRanger said:
So there is no way possible to extend the front shocks?

rather, to drop the top(stud) or raise the bottom of the front shocks?

L.R.
Click onto that link I posted earlier......there's a picture of them mounted on the front end--------Hans

Also, as mentioned BPE's will give yo extra travel... homemade cheap and easy method is take some 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" angle iron. Cut and drill holes in appropriate locations, then grind corners to make them fit on spring perch. Mount to perch, then hook up shock.

Back