• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just got an XJ, problem with the gas gauge

psteffy

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,

I just picked up my XJ (literally, 15 minutes ago) from a dealership and I am ecstatic to say the least.

There is one problem though. When I left the lot, there was no gas in the tank (kind of rude if you ask me). When I filled it up, it only took 11 gallons, which seemed funny, as I figure these cars probably have larger gas tanks. When I got back in and started driving, the gas gauge didnt move a bit. Instead, the gas light came on after about a minute.

I know that the gas light and gauge seem to be iffy on jeeps, but I didnt think it was this bad. Where should I start in my diagnostics? I already searched the subject and couldnt find my answer. My apologies if its been asked before.

Its a 2000 4.0 if that helps.

Last edited:
Not positive...but wasnt there a recall on the sending units for the newer jeeps??? I know on our 97 Grand it always read more than what was in there.. I.e. when it said there was a quarter tank...Im on the side of the road calling someone for gas. I would check with the dealer...they should be able to see if all the service bulletins were taken care of. If not, they should atleast fix the problem since you just bought it.

Justin

ghettocruiser said:
Not positive...but wasnt there a recall on the sending units for the newer jeeps??? I know on our 97 Grand it always read more than what was in there.. I.e. when it said there was a quarter tank...Im on the side of the road calling someone for gas. I would check with the dealer...they should be able to see if all the service bulletins were taken care of. If not, they should atleast fix the problem since you just bought it.

Justin
OK, I guess I should have checked all the recalls anyways and see what I need to get done. I didnt buy the jeep from a jeep dealer, but the local jeep dealer is a good family friend that would be willing to help out. I just wanted to see what the problem was beforehand so that a mechanic tells me theres a tiny unicorn jumping and poking holes in my exhaust. :)

Do you have any kind of warranty?

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I bought mine 3 years ago. I took mine right back to them without even looking 'cause it was still under the 30-day warranty. Turned out to be the sending unit. $300-$400 part IIRC.

prb24 said:
Do you have any kind of warranty?

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I bought mine 3 years ago. I took mine right back to them without even looking 'cause it was still under the 30-day warranty. Turned out to be the sending unit. $300-$400 part IIRC.
3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty :)

psteffy said:
3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty :)

Well there you go.

I just looked up the receipt...no prices but I had done a scan for codes, and found P0463---FUEL SENDER UNIT VOLTAGE HIGH.

Back