• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Are 33's big enough?

upandovr

NAXJA Forum User
It seems like you need to really work to run 35's or 36's on a cherokee. I am retiring the cj with 36's for a while and would love to just move them over but are the broken axles and excessive lift to make them fit worth it or do I just run a set of 33's and live with it. I need this to be a reliable daily driver capable of a 700 mile trip on a whim. I know just cut may be the answer and I am not against that but it is a four door.

36's are not very nice on a daily driver, especially if they are of the Interco variety.

For a DD, with the occasional road trip thrown in, 33's are a very nice compromise size. The step to 35's requires a large investment in upgraded axles, etc. The stock stuff just won't last with 35's, on an extended basis.

CRASH

I have 33s and drive the family on all the road trips and summer vacations. I just got back from doing the rubicon with no problems so 33s IMO are great for an all around good performing rig.

Jeff

33s are a great size for a Daily Driver. I have had 33s for the past year, and it's amazing where they will take you, and I don't even have lockers!

Now, I am going to 36 or 37s soon with lockers front and rear, but I'm keeping a set of 33s that will be on 80% of the time, 36/37s will only get put on for Rubicon, Fordyce, or if I head down to JV. You are correct though, that to go 35 and up means a big upgrade as far as axles, brakes, suspension, gearing...

If you stick to 33s, you can keep that D30 front, even find one with stock 4.10s. Get a 29 spline Chrys. 8.25, Ford 8.8, or XJ/MJ D44 for the rear, lock it. Get 4 inches of lift, chop the fenders, get some skids and rockers, and you are ready to go just about anywhere (and maybe even get 20mpg)

Any thing over 33's and you are compansating for shortcommings in other areas...LOL.

I have run 33's for 8 years, never needed bigger. Driver skill figures more than bigger tires and such.

Rev

Back