• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not shifting into overdrive

bdtsr

NAXJA Forum User
Been a LONG time since I was on here (shame on me I know). The title sums it up. When I use my Jeep (1998, auto trans), if it's below 35deg outside and take my time driving to let it warm up or let it completely warm up before driving, it will be fine. If it's at normal operating temp it's fine. It the the outside temp is between 40 and 50 degrees and I do not let it warm up completely, it will sometimes not shift into overdrive at all or shift normally and about a 1/2 mile later drop out of overdrive. If I shut it off and restart it everything is fine. I have gotten a "Transmision range selector out of range error" at times. Of course having a company van for over a year kept the miles off it, but now I'm back to the daily driver deal (but only 4.1 miles from work!) and it's bugging me. I did put in a tranny cooler back in the summer as well as a 3 row radiator. All fluids look good and are up to the proper level. I thought at one point Jeep used a temp sensor to keep the trans out of overdive until the engine had warmed up some. Is this true?

Forgive me for this but NSS is? I've got temporary brain fade. Just took over as a Technical Manager for a local family restaurant that has more than it's share of reapair issues. Been putting in too many hours! Pay checks do look nice though.

Back