• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle vent tube.

mack

NAXJA Forum User
I want to move the rear axle vent tube higher, the stock vent runs in the rail near the fuel filter, i've seen somewhere that somebody ran it near the fuel cap, can i get some tips on where to run the breather or some pics of where you guy's mounted yours?
thanks.

You can just get a longer hose and run it up the filler neck or even have it come through the inner wheelwell into the cargo area? I don't think you'll find a water pass deep enough on purpose to bury your XJ. (6" w/ 35's)

i want to run up near the filler, i just don't see a way to get it there.
(after a bit more searching, i found what i was looking for, thanks.)
BingBing said:
You can just get a longer hose and run it up the filler neck or even have it come through the inner wheelwell into the cargo area? I don't think you'll find a water pass deep enough on purpose to bury your XJ. (6" w/ 35's)

Last edited:
Run it up to the frame with your rear brake line with enough slack, then zip-tie it to the bracketry underneath to the filler neck. Go lay in the snow and look under there, there is lots of room for anything. Just watch that XJ she likes to fall on her knees :laugh3:

BingBing said:
Maybe it's just my nose, but every time I change my fluid, it stinks! I don't think I'd do that.

Eventually you'll develop a love for the sweet smell of gear oil.

i may run it up in the rear bumper next to the LED boxes.

BingBing said:
Eventually you'll develop a love for the sweet smell of gear oil.
i already have, i spilt a whole bottle in the back of my XJ

Littlewhitexj said:
oh god, ill bet that smell never leaves your XJ
i pulled the rear carpet and most of the smell went away, but guess what happened a few days later.

the sky fell on it?
robz95xj said:
i pulled the rear carpet and most of the smell went away, but guess what happened a few days later.

Ok I am sorry but I wanna hijack this thread and ask somthing while the subject of axle vent lines is getting attention. Has anyone ever put lift shackles on thier XJ and had it result in gear oil being expelled out the vent line due to the shackles rotating the whole axle and bringing the point where the vent line leaves the axle tube down lower than the level of the fluid? Cause I think it's happened to me. I hope the problem will just fix itself when the fluid level gets lower than the vent line.

Back