• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

home brew lift sanity check, please

chuckhubbert

NAXJA Forum User
I am gathering parts for a small lift and would appreciate any input on the plans... I would appreciate any input. I've searched and put my plans together based on those searches, this is just a sanity check for me.

Current:
98 Classic. Totally stock front suspension. Rear has shackles that I think are supposed lift 1.5" installed by a PO to compensate for sagging rear leafs. All 4 corners measure 18" from center of hub to bottom of fender flares.

Front plan:
XJ coils from Carquest (should give about 2" lift)
BPE's (that give about 1.5" extension) and stock length Bilstein's

Rear plan:
HD leafs from Quadratec (should give about 2" lift)
poly leaf bushings
new u-bolts
new bolts for leaf springs
BPE's (1.5" extension) and stock length Bilstein's

Does this make sense? I am not planning on doing anything with brake lines or the transfer case/drive shaft angles. Should I?

Should I get new hardware for any of the coil spring replacement?

I'll be looking at quick disco's and maybe removing the rear sway bar, but that's another step, I think.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck,

Sent you a PM. As for your other questions, I would highly recommend a YJ rear brakeline. $12-15 is too cheap to skimp on safety. For the front, you could do YJ lines, or straighten and relocate the front hardlines to give enough slack for your 2" of lift. I always recommend a SYE/CV shaft when lifting, but with only 2" of lift, you will have some time to save up before causing serious damage to the TCase. I don't know where you found BPE's that give 1.5" extension on the shocks, because I have never seen any.

GottaBeJeep said:
I don't know where you found BPE's that give 1.5" extension on the shocks, because I have never seen any.
Rocky Road Outfitters has some, and I'd assume most BPEs out there give an extension to the shocks since they're changing the point where the shocks bolt to the vehicle...

p.s: The RRO ones may give extension, but from my personal experience, they won't bolt in without serious modifications made to the stupid things...

Multiple replies:

GottaBeJeep: Thanks for your PM and information. That will help me a lot. The BPE's I have are from Rocky Road and "shock extension" may have been the wrong way to say it. They lower (in the back) the upper mount point by some amount, I haven't measured it.

Tealcherokee: You've hit on one of my questions/concerns. The shackles were replaced by a PO and they are about 6.5" bolt to bolt, and as near as I can tell, are designed to lift about 1.5", which, as you noted, will sum to 3.5" from stock with 2" lift from leafs. I wonder if I should get a set of OEM length shackles just in case it is too high?

All: I may have misspoken, the CarQuest springs are for a ZJ. The part number that Hammerhead lists is the one I have noted. I have not purchased them yet.

I have a 98 classic that I pretty much did the same thing to. You should be fine. I didn't have to do anything with the brake lines either.

Back