• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differance in the pre 97 and the 97+

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
I'm building a new trail rig, have the option of a 97 XJ that has light front end damage, bags not diploied, for $1100.

What I need to know is if the frames, specifically the rear spring mounts are the same on the new style and the old style body. I'm using all the suspension from my 93 on the 'new' XJ. The front suspension is a custom radius arm set up so that won't matter.

I'm kind of excited about seeing a new body style XJ on 38's setting in my driveway.

Everything suspension wise will swap over. You also get a "40% stiffer chassis" or something like that with the newer one. You also get the updated brake system and a nice dentable steel hatch. Those are the major diffs I can think of that would be relevant to your app. HTH

Ary

BTW, it's spelled "deployed";)....sorry, my mom's an english teacher....

Don't forget about the T/Case change too.

What happened to Steph Mac's post?

I can only guess the content..........

CRASH

38s? Did I hear you say 38s, Dan?
What. praytell, do you plan to do with those puny little donut-spare-like 36s you've got? I suppose you need someone to take those off your hands for ya without charging you too much . . .
What are friends for?

= )

Actually most of the structural and engineers changes occured in 96. The 97-up have the steel hatch, electronically controlled air bags and cluster gauges. Newer interior and other misc exterior refreshing.

Ary'01XJ said:
You also get a "40% stiffer chassis" or something like that with the newer one.

I sure would like you to explain that to my XJ!!!

ArmStrong said:
38s? Did I hear you say 38s, Dan?
What. praytell, do you plan to do with those puny little donut-spare-like 36s you've got? I suppose you need someone to take those off your hands for ya without charging you too much . . .
What are friends for?

= )

They're gone, needed to sell them to pay for the 38's that I got a hell of a deal on. Sorry.

I realize the differances that the body/interior took on, I was just wondering if the 'frame' and suspension were changed much if at all.

Fore Wheeler said:
They're gone, needed to sell them to pay for the 38's that I got a hell of a deal on. Sorry.

Hope you sold four and not five

Now get you're butt down here and have some beers with me!

:cheers:

Fore Wheeler said:
I'm building a new trail rig, have the option of a 97 XJ that has light front end damage, bags not diploied, for $1100.

What I need to know is if the frames, specifically the rear spring mounts are the same on the new style and the old style body. I'm using all the suspension from my 93 on the 'new' XJ. The front suspension is a custom radius arm set up so that won't matter.

I'm kind of excited about seeing a new body style XJ on 38's setting in my driveway.

Buy this for $1500 and chop it! It was just totalled by my buddies INS yesterday...buyback is $1500. It's a 2001 with a 5 speed....

email me for info on it if you want...

ROLL5.jpg

ROLL7.jpg

we drove it off the trail and home with no probs...it's in Ma

That's not the way to get access to the underside... you gotta roll them over gently onto the roof so that it can be replaced like the top to a sardine can. You must have missed my demonstration at Cherokee Crawl '01.

I agree, that one looks ripe for a chopped top. It would have the NV3550 also, which is a nice tranny. If I didn't already have so many projects...

hell, for $1500 it would make a sick parts rig....although the LPD30 sorta sucks....minor tho

Back