• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas T-Case Q?

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, well I went to the shop and had them look at my t-case to see what was wrong with it (making lots of noise and going in and out of gear "spinning freely") and well they said that the chain was prob. slipping and it that's so more then likely the gears are chewed up too. So they said you can either just fix your'ol np231.....but I would benifit more going with a new t-case (mainly because of how many miles I have on it) so this is giveing me an excuse to get a new atlas t-case! I need to know i this is something the will bolt directly up? I know there will be mods inside for the shifters, but as for bolting up to my driveshafts and tranny?

I have;
-93' cherokee
-4.0L
-Ax15 tranny (automatic)
-stock driveshafts
-stock axels (if it matters?)

"AX-15" and "automatic" should not appear next to each other in a sentence.

CRASH

First of all, if you have an AX15 trans, then it's a stick. If you have an auto, it's probably an AW4.

Your rear driveshaft will be new, and longer. I think your front driveshaft will have to be shortened, the Atlas front yoke is a few inches forward from the NP231.

Having said all that, you can completely rebuild an NP231 for a nominal pittance compared to an Atlas. A master overhaul kit is $119, and a new chain is $99 from JB Conversions. If you're going to change the sprockets, think about ordering a chain and sprocket set for an NP231D (for Dodge) which is a little wider, but supposedly drops right in.

I severely stretched the chain in my NP231 2 1/2 years ago. So much that I could almost just take it off the sprockets without pulling the sprockets off the shaft. Yet the sprockets looked good. I picked up a NP231HD case with an SYE from JB Conversions for under a grand.

afjeep2082 said:
my bad, your right...got my transmissions confused :cool:

Not that it matters, but WHICH ONE YOU GOT???????

afjeep2082, you WON'T be able to get by as cheap/easy as xman, he already had a fixed yoke on his NP231. You're currently got a slip yoke.

The stock driveshaft is a fixed length, and the slip is on the tailshaft in the tcase. Tcases with fixed yokes (like an NP231 w/ SYE or Atlas II) have a slip shaft in the middle of the main shaft.

You'll need a new rear driveshaft, built with a CV joint at the top, a slip shaft in the middle, and a 1310 (pretty sure that what you've got) at the axle end.

If you're going to run an Atlas, you'll need alloy axle shafts, inner and outer, up front. CTM U-joints would also be in order. Don't ask how I found that out.

Back