• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats a good tough finish?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep has 5.5" of lift and I run AJs Offroad Armor's super square rails. They're great!! My only complaint is the finishes I put on keep flaking off, allowing the rail to rust.

I generally step onto the rail before I get into my jeep. The tires also throw a lot of lava rock up onto the rails so I'm sure that gets ground in when I get inside.

I have tried Krylon Rust Tough (multiple coats with multiple coats of primer), and I've tried rubberized undercoating.

So far the rubberized undercoating has lasted the longest, but no more than a week or two.

So what can I use that will be durable?

90Pioneer said:
My jeep has 5.5" of lift and I run AJs Offroad Armor's super square rails. They're great!! My only complaint is the finishes I put on keep flaking off, allowing the rail to rust.

I generally step onto the rail before I get into my jeep. The tires also throw a lot of lava rock up onto the rails so I'm sure that gets ground in when I get inside.

I have tried Krylon Rust Tough (multiple coats with multiple coats of primer), and I've tried rubberized undercoating.

So far the rubberized undercoating has lasted the longest, but no more than a week or two.

So what can I use that will be durable?

99cent rattle can for the bottom, herculiner for deslipperizing on the top. No matter what you do, you will scrape your rails and kill the coating (even powder coating chips and breaks). So.... buy couple rattle cans and keep recoating it every so often ;)

Herculiner. Durable and repairable. After you use it you'll want to coat a lot more parts with it.

I have been using the Rustoleum Hammered on my stuff. When it is left to cure for a couple of days, I have found it to be some of the strongest stuff I have used.

i have a pair of ajs super sqaure rock rails too but ive only gotten a chance to paint them not put them on. i used 1 can of rubberized undercaoting per rail(the kind you get from kragen kinda oversized) and used another whole can or rustoleum hammered finish. its a lot of paint! just keep spraying and spraying and when you think there is enough put a couple more coats on. you dont really have to wait for it to dry at all just keep spraying evenly. the rubberized undercoating works best stays on forever and is kinda like hurculiner but not so rough and soft enough to absorb blows from rocks being chucked at them.

johnsoninc86 said:
Ditto, that stuff is indestructable.
I think herculiner is great (those who've seen my jeep can't question that), but it's not meant for sides and bottoms of rock rails: you will be scraping it too much (unless it's a mall wheeler ;) ).

Remi

Slip Kid said:
Herculiner. Durable and repairable. After you use it you'll want to coat a lot more parts with it.

Remi, you may want to look into this idea.

:laugh3:

I don't care what you put on them, when you sit your 3500? lb. XJ on a rock, then drag it over it, the paint/Herc/undercoat/powdercoat will scrape off. If you're lucky, MAYBE not the first time(depending on the severity of friction) but they're gonna get scraped up. Keep a can of spray paint ready for touch-ups after you clean your rig after a wheelin trip. My .02 cents.

GottaBeJeep said:
I have been using the Rustoleum Hammered on my stuff. When it is left to cure for a couple of days, I have found it to be some of the strongest stuff I have used.

X2.. although I don't think it'll hold up to rock rash...with anything you use plan on touching it up from time to time.

Last edited:
What about non skid? I know there are some Navy guys on here. I've dragged 2 ton pallets of ammunition over nonskid and you can't even tell. Just a thought.

has anyone ever used/seen the rubber coatings that mcmaster has? THey seem to have a few to choose from. How do these compare to the Herc in pricing?

Abrasion-Resistant Neoprene Rubber Coating— Color is black
Coating 1 gal. 2 hrs. 24 hrs. 100 @ 4 mils 212° F 35° to 90° F 1 9503T41 —— $47.22
Coating 5 gal. 2 hrs. 24 hrs. 500 @ 4 mils 212° F 35° to 90° F 1 9503T42 —— $191.67
Abrasion-Resistant Neoprene Rubber Coating— Our most abrasion- and puncture-resistant rubber coating. It's neoprene based and resists most chemicals. Brush or roll it on metal, wood, masonry, rubber, and fabric. Note: Not VOC compliant in all areas. VOC content is 645 grams/liter.

____________________________________________________ or

Ultra-Thick Abrasion-Resistant Polyurethane Coating—
Semi-Gloss : Black
Coating 1 lb. 6 hrs. 24 hrs. 104 sq. in. @ 1/4" 180° F 65° to 85° F 9582T23 ___$48.09
Blue Primer for Metal Surfaces 4 oz. —— 30 min. 10 @ 5 mils 180° F 65° to 85° F 9582T24 ___$12.67
Red Primer for Nonmetal Surfaces 4 oz. —— 60 min. 10 @ 5 mils 180° F 65° to 85° F 9582T25 ___$12.47
Ultra-Thick Abrasion-Resistant Polyurethane Coating— Guard your metal, rubber, wood, fiberglass, and concrete surfaces from severe abrasion, impact, and wear. This ultra-thick coating forms a protective layer that's 50 mils thick in just one application. Excellent for processing equipment such as hoppers, chutes, and pumps. Coating consists of two parts that must be mixed together before use. Application time after mixing is 45 minutes. Apply with a brush. For indoor use only. Note: For best adhesion use primer before coating. Apply the coating 30 minutes later.

page 1983, www.mcmaster.com

I bought 3/8" teflon and lined all my skids and rock rails with...stuff works wonders. If you don't want to do that I would suggest por-15 possibly.

Back