• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hella 500 Install

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting ready to install some Hella 500's on my factory bumper, and was wondering about their sketchy wiring diagram they include, do i need to hook these into my parking lamps, if so where is that and how do i do it, also, the switch has three connect points on the back, and they only instruct you to use two, which two, and why three????? Also where could i find a factory fog light switch for cheap, i have tried auto parts stores and cant seem to find one, dont have a good junkyard near me (i know its crazy), any help would be great....

You can wire them to the parking or high beams if you'd like, but it's not necessary and adds more install time. I just wired mine hot so that I could use them if the car was off- power from the battery to the relay, relay to switch, and switch power from the fuse box. The three connect points on the back are power, ground, and relay (not in that order). There should be small pictures on the back to clue you in to which goes where. The manual should also tell you that.

StylerG said:
I am getting ready to install some Hella 500's on my factory bumper, and was wondering about their sketchy wiring diagram they include, do i need to hook these into my parking lamps, if so where is that and how do i do it, also, the switch has three connect points on the back, and they only instruct you to use two, which two, and why three????? Also where could i find a factory fog light switch for cheap, i have tried auto parts stores and cant seem to find one, dont have a good junkyard near me (i know its crazy), any help would be great....

how do those bolt on?

my xj has plugs in the top of the bumper that look like that's where the stock would go if it came with them.. are the mounts a threaded piece that you stick in there and snug the nut down or what?

-r

First of all there should be relay involved here, that hella switch will burn up fast if you wire the lights directly to them. Don't let the relay scare you, all that relay is is an electric switch that is controlled by a mechanical switch. The mechanical switch gets installed where you want it, one side goes to ground, the other lead goes to 12v the third lead goes to the relay up front as close to the battery as you can get it.
I have a hella relay in my hand right now, the two silver connectors operate the relay, pins 85 and 86. The two brass colored relays go to the battery [pin 30] pin 87 goes to both lights. The ground for the lights gets attached to the bumper. If you bought the lights and they did not have a relay go buy one... the correct hella relay has a bayonet fuse built into the relay

^agreed, should definately be using a relay

i usually buy mine from Advance, and the packaging has relay wiring diagrams on the back....if not, just google it

Fred85 said:
^agreed, should definately be using a relay

i usually buy mine from Advance, and the packaging has relay wiring diagrams on the back....if not, just google it
you buy the Hellas or the relay from Advance?

Thanks for all the help, got them installed and everything works great, just wired the switch to a power source instead of the high beams so they will work anytime. Thanks again!

Depending on your state laws on lights -you can splice into the wire for low beam-for fogs or high beam-for driving lights.
Here in Va you are limited to 4 total lights -Hi+driving or low+fog.
there are exceptions but must be factory--they have a list to check
Wayne

Yup, throw out the instructions that came with and wire them yourself. I used a switch from the parts store, tapped into an accessory power source, used a Bosch relay, and mounted them to the bumper. I meant to look at the instructions to see how bad they really were but forgot to before tossing them. Drilled holes in the bumper real quick, and mounted them up. So far I'm real happy with these lights, they do exactly what I wanted.

hella500installed.jpg

Back