• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1987 XJ key cylinder adjustment?

GAllgood

NAXJA Forum User
On occasion my key does not easily go to the locked position when shutting off the engine. I have to fumble around with the auto shifter, twist the key and even push the brake. Not sure at all if pushing the brake does much, but it seems to coincide with it locking. Im thinking the key cylinder may be worn. I was wondering if there is any adjustment at all, or do I just replace the key cylinder?

A second question, I replaced the ignition switch last week when it was colder than hell. Did it in the driveway and when I was done found the dimmers did not work. Yeah I found a 12 inch (approx) long piece of thin steel laying on the floor, now I now what that is for.. Anyway my Jeep manual doesnt show how to put this back in, any clues on the best without breaking more stuff?

Thanks in advanced.

Gary

GAllgood said:
On occasion my key does not easily go to the locked position when shutting off the engine. I have to fumble around with the auto shifter, twist the key and even push the brake. Not sure at all if pushing the brake does much, but it seems to coincide with it locking. Im thinking the key cylinder may be worn. I was wondering if there is any adjustment at all, or do I just replace the key cylinder?

A second question, I replaced the ignition switch last week when it was colder than hell. Did it in the driveway and when I was done found the dimmers did not work. Yeah I found a 12 inch (approx) long piece of thin steel laying on the floor, now I now what that is for.. Anyway my Jeep manual doesnt show how to put this back in, any clues on the best without breaking more stuff?

Thanks in advanced.

Gary

I would guess both are related. That 12 inch piece of metal sounds like the rod that comes from the Transmission shifter to the steering column. The ignition should not go to the lock position without the transmission being placed in PARK and this rod is apart of the system.

If you take the Dash Bezel off you should see a small tab on the steering column with a hole for the rod to stick into.

Let us know how you make out.

I believe that rod's for your dimmer switch. Pain in the butt holding that thing in place while doing the ignition switch. Look underneath while you activate the dimmer with the turn signal stalk and you can get an idea of where it's supposed to attach. Should be left side of the column.

Back