• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt Distributor

XJTripp

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ takes a little longer than my friends' rigs to start. It has new wires/plugs/dist cap, so I started looking at the sync Sensor (1989 4.0L). Went to Auto Zone for a rebuilt distributor and didn't like what they had. There was contact between the metal trigger and the sensor. Went to Advance Auto and the rebuilt unit had a lot of end play/thrust but seemed tighter in the in the direction perpendicular to the dist. axis -so I took it home. The bore in my block would not accept it. Upon closer inspection, the shaft housing of mine is machined and the rebuilt unit was not- I got my old dist. back and reinstalled it. Neither parts store carries the correct dist. and now I don't think I want one from them anyway.
1. Anybody used a rebuilt distributor and have a source/brand they recommend?
2. Did your rebuilt unit have a lot of axial thrust movement? Won't this up and down movement absorb some of your timing advance? Some of the force applied to turn the unit will just go towards raising your rotary button rather than turning it.
3. Anybody bought the bushings and rebuilt their own distributor.- Doesn't look hard to do.

I occasionally hear a soft grrrr-grrrr-grrrr sound with the hood up on the decel from revving the engine. I was able to get a similar sound by spinning the dist. in my hand.

Tripp,

Over the past 3 years I was on a sensor renewal program on my 88 XJ. I got dow to the Sync sensor and the engine computer. I decided to change the sync sensor or also know as the camshaft position sensor on my XJ.

I check it out and discovered you had to disassemble the distributor to remove and replace the sync sensor. I also the price, like $60 or $70 for the part.

I wanted a "new" sensor not used one that may of tested good for the rebuilder.

I decided to bite the bullet and purchased a new distributor from the dealer. It was not cheap, $180, but it was ALL new.

I watched the dealer mechanic install it and what a difference! I have more power. I talked to the Mechanic and he told me worn distributor bushings can retard your timing.

So now with a new distributor and a high alt CPS I have plenty of power out of my 4.0.

Because of the problems you are finding with rebuilts is why I went for the new component, not cheap but solved the problem.

Martin

All distributors have some up/down play. Never saw one that didn't. If you look at the drive gear, you'll see that it has a bevel cut. In practice, the rotation of the cam shaft against that bevel pulls the distributor gear down until it's riding on the bushing and can't drop any farther.

Vertical play isn't an issue. Lateral or radial play is a problem.

If it's not going in, it may not be engaging the oil pump drive. I've changed 2 distributors and both times I had to reach down in and turn the oil pump slightly to mate with the new shaft. I suspect that it turns a little when the old one is pulled out.

yup, tried that even went back and test fit the original for practice. it seem the neck on the reman is too thick. like the other guy my original was machined and this one is textured.
i just put all the old stuff back on. looks like i will be going to the stealer for this

Both Advance and Autozone carry the same re-built dist,Cardone brand I believe.
Wayne

ChiXJeff said:
If it's not going in, it may not be engaging the oil pump drive. I've changed 2 distributors and both times I had to reach down in and turn the oil pump slightly to mate with the new shaft. I suspect that it turns a little when the old one is pulled out.

It does, so you do need to use a long blade screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft back to its original position otherwise the distributor won't go in all the way.

Just installed an AZ rebuilt. Had to file down the lower housing diameter to get it to fit...doesn't need much. Haven't noticed any performance changes...240k miles.

i bit the bullet and went to the stealer to order the dist. it was $220 with tax for a 98 dist :( :( there goes my loot to regear the front axle
looks like i will be stuck in 2wd till summer

i probably could have shaved it down, but i did not feel like messing with this type of thing

got the OEM distributor in today. must have done something right cause it runs good :D

i noticed the distributor has some sort of hole drilled on the bottom. are you guys water proofing this and sealing it with silicone or something?

Are you talking about where the lock pin was? or something else ?
Wayne

LouisianaZJ said:
got the OEM distributor in today. must have done something right cause it runs good :D

i noticed the distributor has some sort of hole drilled on the bottom. are you guys water proofing this and sealing it with silicone or something?

I guess you could,I don,t think I,ve been in water that deep.
Wayne

When I rebuilt GM HEI's, I used dielectic grease to fill the hole, keeps water out unless it is forced in. I only think it helps my piece of mind...for what its worth.

Back