• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going to order a Locker for the rear, but?

Shaggy's XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Who has the best price? It's going to be a lunchbox locker for my 01 with the 8.25 29 spline axle. Don't seem to be much of a difference in durability, so I am looking for the cheapest model available. It's is a daily driver with plans for 235 MTR's and not much more. Thanks

Ive run a LockRight, and was very pleased with it (except for ice or snow on pavement). I think Quadratech has one for the rear for $278 or so for D35, and $320 for Chrysler. Check them out.

The Aussie locker is similar or same to the LockRight and can be had a bit cheaper IIRC, Google them up.

Good luck,
Andrew

I have an auburn pro in my 98's 8.25, been in there for almost two years now. like it.

PM Rawbrown for a price on a No-Slip. Aussie Locker might have them for the 29 spline in March-April, But untill then the No-Slip is the only choice for a lunchbox locker. :)

Guess it's going to be a powertrax....thought there were more choices in 29 spline.

If I was to go with a full carrier style it would be a Truetrac.....

There are two Powertrax lockers - the Lock Right and the No Slip. I have the No Slip in my 29 spline 8.25 and would recommend it.

xjohnnyc said:
There are two Powertrax lockers - the Lock Right and the No Slip. I have the No Slip in my 29 spline 8.25 and would recommend it.

Is there a 29 spline lock right? Only found it listed in 27 spline on powertrax.com.....

Shaggy's XJ said:
Is there a 29 spline lock right? Only found it listed in 27 spline on powertrax.com.....
It seems you are correct. But I was merely pointing out that the term "Powertrax" can be one of two different lockers.

At this point its getting harder and harder to get no-slips. Call around and find out who has them in stock. Randy's ring and pinon stopped carrying the no-slip and they will not even drop ship it from Richmond gear. Apparantly alot of people kept screwing them up when installing them. you have to be very careful about lining thiem up correctly or youll break the tab off of the active spacer when you drive off in the first turn. many other suppliers are following suit. Its a bummer really because its such a nice locker. Try Rocky Road first, he has some decent pricing.

Timber said:
X2. This is the lowest listed price for a 29-spline No Slip that I've ever seen. Others may match it, but they don't offer it at that price.

Seem to be hit or miss in the cust service dept though.....Not sure if I am going to order from them.

go for rro. got my no slip from them about a year ago and its held up great and worked flawlessly. best price around too.

Rawbrown said:
At this point its getting harder and harder to get no-slips. Call around and find out who has them in stock. Randy's ring and pinon stopped carrying the no-slip and they will not even drop ship it from Richmond gear. Apparantly alot of people kept screwing them up when installing them. you have to be very careful about lining thiem up correctly or youll break the tab off of the active spacer when you drive off in the first turn. many other suppliers are following suit. Its a bummer really because its such a nice locker. Try Rocky Road first, he has some decent pricing.

Broken Active Spacer Club Member #1 here....

I was an idiot though and when the cross-pin wouldn't slide in, I tapped it with a hammer, that is a no-no....$60 in new parts (spacer and spring kit) and I was done....but I only paid $100 for the locker lightly used so it wasn't that bad a deal really.

I'll say this though, Randy's Ring and Pinion along with Richmond gear have terrible customer service. I needed the parts 3 day shipped on monday, ordered from RR+P, richmond screwed up a sent it UPS ground, and when I got the part, they had sent the wrong part and refused to send out the replacement until the next day, they overnighted it to me, but I was heading out of town the day after so I had to put in my stock spiders, so I spent roughly 6 hours under my jeep, opened up a diff, had to reassemble everything, gasket, and re-fill the diff and it was the same as when I started, oh, and I had to ride my bike around for a week and a half.

I have a No-Slip (Powertrax) in my 2000 XJ.

Ive had the locker for about 5 months. I don't care for it. There is too much play in it driving on the road. When I start accelerating from a complete stop (going straight from a stop sign), sometimes one axle in the rear doesnt kick in. When the other axle kicks in after a second or two there is a loud pop. This may just be a sacrifice that I have to deal with, but I would rather get a detroit full carrier locker and deal with sqealing around corners and fast loss of tread. However, I have never had a problem with it off road. Both axles always turn fine in low range. So far, I have found the powertrax locker to be a weak system but it hasn't given up yet. Mabey it won't. when I bought it, I thought I was a getting a locker that would be comfortable on the road but it hasn't been.

My advice would be to go for the detroit. Though its a bit more expensive, if your really into off-roading like myself, spending a couple hundred dollars more now might save you money in the long run and give you a durable locker that you can depend on.

HaZakated said:
I have a No-Slip (Powertrax) in my 2000 XJ.

Ive had the locker for about 5 months. I don't care for it. There is too much play in it driving on the road. When I start accelerating from a complete stop (going straight from a stop sign), sometimes one axle in the rear doesnt kick in. When the other axle kicks in after a second or two there is a loud pop. This may just be a sacrifice that I have to deal with, but I would rather get a detroit full carrier locker and deal with sqealing around corners and fast loss of tread. However, I have never had a problem with it off road. Both axles always turn fine in low range. So far, I have found the powertrax locker to be a weak system but it hasn't given up yet. Mabey it won't. when I bought it, I thought I was a getting a locker that would be comfortable on the road but it hasn't been.

My advice would be to go for the detroit. Though its a bit more expensive, if your really into off-roading like myself, spending a couple hundred dollars more now might save you money in the long run and give you a durable locker that you can depend on.

THere might be something wrong with your locker. I have never experienced any of these problems with the no-slip.

Back