• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

undercoating vs. bedliner? (searched)

montanaman

NAXJA Forum User
Hi:

I'm thinking of spraying my interior pan with undercoating (cost about $10.00) or bedliner (cost about $65-$100). I want corrosion protection and sound deadening.

Any need for the more expensive bedliner? Seems the undercoating would stick fine, since gravity is working in its favor.

But ... maybe I'm missing something.

Any advice appreciated.

Undercoating is more like tar and doesnt seem to harden or adhere as well, bedliner is more like a paint and is more durable. Id go with the bedliner.

not to mention undercoating smells Bad for a long time usually!

The bedliner will "reek" for a while too....at least until it drys, and the fumes are not good for you or any other living thing in the immediate vicinity.
I painted parts of my floor pan with Zero Rust then applied bedliner.
I did not put the carpet back in...only using floor mats and its holding up real well.
Looked under my rear seat yesterday......floor pan is totally gone (not an area I repaired)...kind of sucks...state insp. next month and too damn cold here to be out trying to fix the floor....may be the end of my XJ. No way it will pass insp.

I used undercoating and then covered it with that bed liner in a rattle can one coat just so it would harden up.I run house carpet and I cant hear anything the road and tires or the suspention only thing I can hear is the exhaust.

go with the undercoating

Also ... I think there are different types of undercoating. There are some that are like tar, and some that are like plastic. The plastic ones definitely dry up.

I dunno ... it's been a while since I looked. Maybe they don't make the plastic stuff anymore.

Yea house carpet got a problem.It was free, same color and is easier to remove.I got the one that is $7.95 at Autozone.It says undercoating and sound dampaning waked great and no rust I did do a exensive prep job including making a lot of new floor pans.

The underside has also been beadblasted and undercoated.

Sounds like you are trying to do this on a budget, so this may be more than you want (it will probably take 2 gallons to cover the whole floor properly), but I'm going with Firewall, then topping it with herc. It's half the price of herc (well, not really once you figure shipping, but it is cheaper), and made for sound deadening. Just received it yesterday, so pics and writeup are probably 2-3 weeks away, but I'm pumped :)

http://secondskinaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?pg=2&p=pr

Last edited:
herculiner its a blend of the two, its a really really thick paint with rubber peices in it, i picked mine up at Orielly's auto parts for 80 bucks. did the entire inside of my cj-7 tub and i love it! still have some of the gallon left after 2 coats, once i rip the carpet out of my xj its gettin the same treatment. just my 2 cents:)

Back