• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aligning motor mounts

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Moved this from a buried thread...

OK.... had a beyatch of a time getting the new driver side Rusty's rubber mount in. All bolts came out great, no breakage, I thinks... I'm jammin here.

BUT THEN

Getting the freakin motor aligned is a pain. I only have the inside bolt in on the frame mount. It's is cocked just enough to keep me from dropping the outside bolt in. Main bolt is in OK. Will it help "shifting the motor" if I pull the bolts on the passenger side first? Put a 2X4 under the oil pan with the jack to relieve the pressure on the bolts and they slide almost freely. The motor is a little shifted, not much, just enough to piss me off. I'm worried if I try to pull the stock mount on the pass side it'll get WAY out of wack. (I did try to bolt in the mount first BUT I could not get the holes to align NOR could I get the spacers in.

Ideas, locations to use a pry bar. Techniques?? Just my little ol self to do this.

BTW... I bought my first 1/2 impact gun. (Sears Xmas gift cards)
WHAT WAS I WAITIN' FOR?? What a difference. I pulled my front sway bar off in 2 minutes. Nothing like the right tool for the job!!

When I put new motor mounts in my CJ-7 I started on one side and used a floorjack and wood block under the oil pan for support and to take the weight off the mounts. The opposite side was loosened but left in place so the motor could move around. I then used a small bottle jack (the stock XJ jack works also) to move the motor and align the bolt holes. I just wedged the jack where ever it fit to move the motor the direction I needed. I might have used another jack under the back end of the tranny to control the tilt front to back. Leave the new mounting bolts loose and do the other side. I think the key is to have all the bolts loose and to use the bottle jack or a 2x4 as needed to align the holes. Once I had the new mounts in on both sides I still had to lift, move and lower the motor just a bit a few times to get everything finally lined up. The motor had rolled over a little and I wanted it level, side to side. Finally, go back and tighten all the motor mount bolts.

Back