• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No horns, no air horns, mega searching allready been done.

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
OK my horns decided to shit out on me. lucky me huh. Well i thought it was just the el crappy stocker horns so i went out to get a nice air horn set. I was planning on one soon anyway. I hooked it up. No go. even threw the relay into the mix (just for kicks) and STILL no go. I ran a 12v directly to the stocker and hey we have horn.

i replaced fuse 11 which from my searches was the correct fuse to replace. i still get clicks when i press the horn button down. When i pulled the fuse i didnt get any clicks so i am assuming i was correct in thinking that the fuse 11 is for my horn.

The only thing i could possibly think would be the next issue would be ether a grounding issue (i checked those as best as i could) or maybe the clockspring? im really not too familliar with what this actually does but i did find a few relevent search results. Im going to the stealership right now to pick one up incase i need one before they close. ill return it unopened later if i need to.

thanks for the replies.

just because relays click, doenst mean they are passign current thru the terminals. Youd have 2 know how 2 read a schematic, its allmost allways on the side of the relay.Measure for 12VDC at the output terminal on the relay, and for 12VDC goin into said relay.If its goin in and not out, its your relay. Or get your hands on a known good one, and swap em out.They are cheap to produce.So they are usually cheap to purchase. especially if your NOT goin to the Chrystler house. They have little "contact pads" on the arms that can and do burn out, get pitted, and sometimes melt.specially if yourself or a proir owner was one of those horn happy people that used it for self-expression, and in the place of getting out of the jeep and ringing the doorbell.That,....or a pinched, corroded,cut wire would be my guess. BTW, do the air horns play anything cool,...dukes of hazzard jump song mabye?
P.S. i meant if the 12VDC is goin in your relay and not out WITH THE RELAY ENERGIZED, or the HORN BEING PRESSED. thats kinda important i think, my bad

like... i do road rage a lot... and somtimes i lay on my horn for probobly 3-5 minuits at a time. Think that caused a problem :D

thanks ill check out the relay

helix said:
like... i do road rage a lot... and somtimes i lay on my horn for probobly 3-5 minuits at a time. Think that caused a problem :D

thanks ill check out the relay
This thread made me realize I don’t know if my horn even works.

I know the horn in our 93 doesn't work--my wife lets me know about once a week.

I reckon three to five minutes at a time on the horn is sure 'nuff going to melt something. I would go with 10 awg and a 40 amp relay -- or maybe some counseling.

langer1 said:
This thread made me realize I don’t know if my horn even works.

:D I found out the hard way my father inlaw has a little toot toot horn on his 94 Country. Someone blew a 4-way stop on me. I went to lay on the horn and a little beep beep whispered out of it.

I was embarrassed I laid on the horn despite the prick causing me to jam on my brakes.
icon8.gif

yep.. my relay i had on order came in... didnt fix the problem. Now im very confused as to what it could be...

Rather than answer directly, from now on, I will just give clues.

Search: Key Word(s): horn ; Posts Made By: Lou

(I hate typing)

checked out all those posts, nothing that hasn't been covered in this thread. Im really not sure where to go from here.

The clockspring must be fine because the signal is getting to the relay because it clicks, replaced relay for shits and still clicks but no horn, ran 12v directly to factory horn with no luck, im actually hooking up an aftermarket air horn once i get the stock one going. The fuse is OK.

Do you have a multi-meter or a tester of some sort?

------------------------------------------------------------

Rewind....there are two horns, but which is it ...worky or no worky?

helix said:
..... I ran a 12v directly to the stocker and hey we have horn.
helix said:
.....ran 12v directly to factory horn with no luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------

basically, set meter to 20VDC(or anything higher than 15V), unplug the connector going to the horns, connect that to the positive/red of the meter, connect the neg/black of the meter to ground

What does the meter register?

press the horn button.

are you getting 12 to 14 voilts on the meter?

-------------------------------------------------------

Do you have an alarm, of any kind, installed?

Last edited:
Back