• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Non-Timing related hesitation?

scprandy

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 4.0L (rebuilt and recently installed) with AW4. I have a hesitation when starting to push on accelerator(not miss firing or backfiring), will idle smooth, will run smooth.
I should say that this hesitation is only present when starting from an idle, and is more pronounced when engine is still cold.
I have read many threads on indexing the distributor and this is not the issue, my problem is only when I slowly push on the accelerator from an idle and the motor hesitates, then stumbles, then catches and takes off to run smoothly.
I'm starting to think that it is a vacuum issue, but I dont have a manual with an accurate vacuum schematic.
Does anyone out there have access to an accurate schematic they would share with me, and has this come up with anyone else?
I should say that this motor was installed by a local shop due to warranty issues,(that is why I'm not familiar with were some lines go) and I do see one vacuum line comming off the intake manifold that I cant tell where to put.
Thank you for any and all input.

SC, two things come to mind. First check to see if there's a vacuum line attached to the MAP sensor (located on firewall). That could be where the orphan vacuum hose attaches.

Other than that, it might be a faulty TPS.....

Back