• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for when i flush my coolant

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
First time ever doing a coolant flush (yes i searched)

i was just going to pull the lower hose to drain the radiator, which side of the hose do i pull, or does it matter?

^I know that'll definately drain the radiator, but will pulling the lower hose also help drain the block too??? I've decided not to mess with the block drainage holes after a little searching.

I guess what i'm asking is will water/coolant flow through the block at all if the engine isn't running??? or will i have to pull the t-stat?? I mean this in reference to pulling the upper hose, pouring in water, and flushing the block that way........

Anytime I've ever flushed the coolant on either the 151 four-cylinder or the 242 six, I've always been lucky enough ( :rolleyes: ) to have to replace the pump in the process. Swapping out the pump would do essentially the same thing to the fluid level as pulling the lower rad hose, plus it might drain a little more. I never bothered removing the thermostat to refill the coolant, and I don't think it's necessary.

The impeller inside the water pump doesn't totally seal off the block from the radiator, so you should be able to fill most of the block just by adding coolant through the radiator cap. A few heating and cooling cycles will certainly fill up the remaining cavities, so just keep an eye on the coolant level as usual for a few days after flushing.

If you feel like it, you may want to drill a few small (1/8") holes in the flat plate section of the thermostat. This provides a small coolant exchange when the thermostat is closed, and from what I've read, is supposed to allow for better operation of the thermostat (since the temperature differential between the warmer radiator and cooler block, or vice-versa, isn't so high). I've done this on a few vehicles without any problems.

do be effective you must do a backflush where you tie into the heater hose and run the engine and have the coolant flush out thru the coolant tank or radiator cap, run till clear, then add your coolant first until you see green running out of the flushing tee, cao the tee then I strongly recommend a waterpump lubricant anti rush additive added to the system and engine ran to operating temp and topped off with coolant/water and closed up, all done and correct

oh yea do not use too agressive a cleaner/flush, on some cars you flush away too much and end up with a leaky radiator and or waterpump as some of the stuff you flush away was holding the system intact, if the heater core starts leaking, OY VEA

Back